PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Do you have a particular tobacco that you are stocking up in case of outrageous inflation or smoking laws?
Mine is H&H Anniversary Kake. I do like it, but mostly I've piled some up because it's affordable and they have the buy 2 get 1 free sales. I have about 2 pounds laid up, that's a lot for me.
Others?

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I recently purchased a box of Troost Pouches because word is it's going to be discontinued. I will grab a pound of P&C's Best of the Rest from time to time and let it age a little.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I get bad nervous whenever I get under a year's supply of Escudo. That said, if worse came, I would just suck it up and go find another "go-to".
Humans can be mighty adaptable when they want to be.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
I have a collection of about 30+ lbs of ropes, plugs, & flakes (mostly bulk), vacuum sealed & stored in several large bins for portability when TSHTF & TEOTWAWKI (this might include outrageous regulations, taxes, or outright tobacco bans).

They could be useful for barter & trade.

I may throw in a rope or two of Mapacho for medicinal purposes.

Still looking to add some Strang.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
TSHTF & TEOTWAWKI (this might include outrageous regulations, taxes, or outright tobacco bans)
What do you think this will look like? My guess is a cross between Brave New World, Blade Runner and today's third-world societies like Brazil, Southern Italy and Russia.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
@deathmetal: yeah, somewhat like those scenarios, but may also be like an amalgam of Mad Max, the defunct TV series Revolution, & Walking Dead (though the zombies may be the dispossessed, displaced persons).

My wife has had dreams/nightmares of blown out windows & fallout which she thinks is radioactive/nuclear. but I think that it could as well be ash from an eruption of the Yellowstone Caldera (we live just far enough away for this scenario to be plausible). The other possible scenario is an EMP, manmade or a solar coronal mass ejection.

Too grim. Would rather be snowbound for a week or two & enjoy some of the cellar.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ah, Yellowstone! A fine sulphuric mixture if ever. In my scenario, it creates so much ash that the entire globe is encircled, and Global Freezing happens. Temps well below 0º F. Everyone moves as close to a nuclear generating plant as possible. Coal and oil are impossible to mine or move.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Some of the dystopian views of the world would be inconsistent with freely available quality pipe tobacco so the scenario might include something like "the great hoarders of tobacco" or "the cellar masters". In the mean time, I actually have enough tobacco to last for the foreseeable future... Maybe a few more tins of Old Shenandoah Barrel No 76.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Stocking up on ropes and plug! Can't go wrong with either and worry about them going away...

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
My tastes (women, music, food, tobacco) tend toward the eclectic. The only ones that are endangered are women (I'm married) and tobacco. I cellar a number of blends deeply so I will have some variety available.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
For me, its McClelland black and brown labels in 100 gr size...like money in the bank as far as I'm concerned. If you've ever popped the top on a 25 yr. old tin of 27,24,22, Blackwoods Flake, Bombay Court. Navy Cavendish or Dark Star, you know what I mean.
Mike S.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I have about 60 blends in my cellar for a total of about 30lbs. At my current pace that will last 15-20 years. I will obviously keep adding my current or new favorites. Many of the blends I have would also be easy to trade.
What do you think this will look like? My guess is a cross between Brave New World, Blade Runner and today's third-world societies like Brazil, Southern Italy and Russia.
I think that smoking has not been criminalized in these "third world societies".

Status
Not open for further replies.