Do You Dedicate Pipes To Only One Blend?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I generally dedicate my pipes to certain genres. I have my VA,Vaper,Vabur flakes and plugs pipes and then some pipes for aromatics. I also dedicate certain pipes to one specific blend. Over they years I have found some great combos and I stick with them.
For example I have 2 of my Rad Davis Lovats dedicated to my 2007 batch of Stonehave. I have a Trever Talbot Goblin dedicated to my 2012 GL Pease Navigator. I have a Lane Era Charatan Dublin dedicated to any vintage SG Full Virginia Flake. I have a few more of these examples but you get the idea.
So who else is doing this or am I the only nutcase?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You're not a nutcase because you do that; you're a nut case for other reasons. But a mostly lovable nutcase, to be sure. You and Peck have proven that beyond a shadow of a doubt!
I don't happen to do that, and it seems like a good thing®
BTW, get Peck back here; I love the ball breaking you guys have perfected to a high art.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
So far, not enough fine pipes for that much dedication. I'm smoking VA, Vaper, and Vabur out of the same pipe, and all English out of another. Maybe one day, I'll break it down further, but for now this works.
My cobs take any and everything, so I some what I want, when I want out of them.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I dedicate pipes to certain genres for the most part, other than my cobs. I smoke whatever in those. I do however have my semi-churchwarden nording valcano that I do have dedicated only to C&D Dreams of Kadath. It's my favorite blend I dont want any other flavors coming through.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I have two Castello 15's that are dedicated to Capstan.
I didn't plan it that way, however. I just seem to smoke a buttload of Capstan.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Except for the one that will never be smoked, my Weavers are blend specific. The rest of my collection is genre specific.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I'm similar to Harris. Mostly, genre specific at first, but over the years I have a few pipes that become blend specific. It got easier once my cellar matured and I had more pipes in my collection. Now I'm Pavlov's dog. Just the site of a few pipes makes me think specifically of one tobacco I pair it to. For example, one of my 55's always makes me want to smoke G.L. Pease Key Largo because that's all I smoke in it.
Examples of specific blend/pipe combinations for me:

-Rattray Exotic Orange/Passion: a craggy blasted yachtsman

-Stonehaven: Morta poker

-GL Pease Gaslight - Castello magnum poker

-GL Pease Key Largo - Castello 55

-Salty Dogs - small blasted dublin

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Dunhill 3 year and Haunted Bookshop have their own pipes, other than that it is only by the genre

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
In principal it seems like a great idea, but I like Jameson so I screw up the dedicated pipes pretty quick. I've only managed to dedicate pipes to specific genres of tobacco. Lats, Va/burleys, and aros. But within the genre, they get a variety of blends.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
As the group has noted Harris, you are a nutcase. But in a very good way my friend! I definitely dedicate pipes by genre. I break every pipe in by smoking a Virginia blend in it. The vey best smoking pipes remain as a Virginia smoker. Those that don't make the grade get an inferior genre stuffed in it from that point forward.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I have a Rinaldo Skipper that is dedicated to aged Robert McConnell Oriental. Once the Latakia has died, it's ready to go. Other than that, I only dedicate by genre.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Have a Bill Shalosky chimney billiard that smokes FVF so we’ll that I dedicated it as such, and a IMP meter that tastes so good with HH Syrian.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I mainly just dedicate my briars to genres but I have several that are dedicated to one blend only. Blends that get a pipe (or two) dedicated to them are, Condor, St. Bruno, 1792, HU Sissinghurst & HU Daddy Gefftl. Condor gets several different briars as does St. Bruno.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I dedicate my pipes to genres. A few are dedicated to specific blends. I also have a few test pipes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It looks like there are plenty of guys who dedicate in the same way as I do. It is an interesting phenomena on how we go blend specific. I don't believe any of us said to our selves I am going to start smoking x tobacco in y pipe because it will be a glorious match. We just kind of find our way into these perfect combos.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't believe any of us said to our selves I am going to start smoking x tobacco in y pipe because it will be a glorious match.
I actually commissioned my Weavers for particular tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.