Do You Collect Anything Other Than Pipes and Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Beer mugs and lighters ... for a while there I found myself buying a number of fountain pens, but recently I have kept that at bay :D

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I have a soft spot for old fans. This one is my favorite because it works well. Smooth, quiet and powerful.

1502275832229798316747.jpg

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
My mother in-law once told me she couldn't understand what I was all about because I didn't seem to collect anything. I explained that I didn't care about "stuff" and had been collecting experiences. That did not ameliorate things. The following Christmas I gave my wife to be some diamond earrings making my mother in-law my biggest fan and leaving me totally confused.
Anyway, I still don't really care about stuff but have managed to accumulate my fair share. I blame my garage mostly. It has 3 stories and looks really bleak empty. Ive been trying to fill every nook with bicycles recently and have been pretty successful. I started off just wanting to learn how everything worked in order to service my own bike. That turned in to wanting to replace this part from that bike and vice versa and has pretty much turned in to a bit of bike armada.
I'm strongly considering starting a non-profit to collect, repair and ultimately redistribute bikes to local folks that would benefit from them and there are plenty. The local second hand market is really high.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm strongly considering starting a non-profit to collect, repair and ultimately redistribute bikes to local folks that would benefit from them and there are plenty. The local second hand market is really high.
That sounds like a helluva good idea. Congrats.

May 4, 2015
Bigpond, Reno has such a place and they have had great success and are great for the community. Perhaps you could reach out to them and see how they've navigated through the 501c3 process and the rest.
Reno Bike Project

youdancer

Lurker
Sep 19, 2016
Never thought of collecting old fans, but that is a beauty!
Been on a jag for Criterion DVDs this last year. Always buying books.
I don't collect tobacco/pipes, I just like smoking.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I dig the Westinghouse fan. I like old heavy duty fans and rolling office chairs, but I don't have enough of either to warrant calling it a collection.
I used to (and will again most likely) collect knives..

My Instagram has some decent pictures "bemyspider".

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No collections. I do have an excess of watches (not by collector standards but more than I need) and cufflinks, again, not much used because I so rarely get suited up. Books, don't ask. Shirts, because I can't resist a bargain on a good shirt, whether it's a Wrangler or a "good" brand. Wrangler shirts are amazing in fit, durability, and perpetually style appropriate.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I collect knives of all types, and I also seem to be collecting AR-15 chassis type rifles.

Every time I build one, I think of another configuration or caliber that I want and I just move on to building the next one.

I love the various different receivers, stocks, barrels, sights, rails and other adaptable accessories that can be used, it's a very versatile platform with almost endless configurations.

It's something that I enjoy for now and I only build them for myself to shoot, occasionally I help a buddy with a new build, or a repair or something of the like.

May 4, 2015
Minerals (micro) and antique dictionaries are my bag.
I was a bit of a mineral/rock hound for a bit while I was in school for Geology. Unfortunately life happened and I had to discontinue my studies to start earning money for the family. I'll probably go back at some point before my GI Bill benefits expire.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Antique shaving scuttles, and razors. The crown jewel being a 200+ year old G. Johnson straight razor with buffalo horn scales. Shaves better than my new Dovo.
img_20151126_060814-600x450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.