Status
Not open for further replies.

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
as above. I just got this

184558591-150x112.jpg

And i have noticed a lot of gurgling and sh!t. so do these things create moisture or have i not Got this pipe yet.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I have two stinger pipes. My Kaywoodie has a tendency to gurgle with a lot of different tobaccos. The Yelo-Bole is hit or miss, but it's a brylon pipe. So, that's a whole different issue.

asteroid1

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2011
Most if not all pipe smokers seem to dislike stingers and yet many low-end factory made pipes are still sold with stingers/tar traps in the stem, why?

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Most if not all....

I think your numbers may be off a little bit there. :lol:

Many don't mind them, myself included. The majority of my pipes that have stingers smoke fine with them, as they're engineered to accommodate the stinger--and it's not just low-end pipes, either; many esteemed brands employ the devices. It does take a little adjustment; both what you smoke and how you smoke it. Quick tip: always keep the bowl angled down (as opposed to flat or slightly higher than your mouth). That being said, lots of folks prefer to remove them.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Funny thing. When I first started looking at pipes, in terms of attempting to be a discerning buyer, I thought a stinger was the sign of a better pipe.
Then, I find out they are typically found in mass produced pipes.
Oh, well.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
I had half a dozen Kaywoodies with stingers - since the stingers caused a hassle cleaning and smoking them - I promptly removed the ones I could.

Sep 5, 2011
I prefer my pipes without stingers and used to always take them out, but I found that the pipes with larger stingers (like my Sasieni) actually smoked wetter without them - I guess it's the large space left there for the gasses to expand in that make it so.

Now I just make sure I don't buy pipes with stingers lol.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
they serve a purpose of sorts--you just remove the stem, shake off the moisture(or blow it out into a paper towel), replace the stem, and keep smokin' a dry pipe--doesn't hurt to break open a screw in stinger pipe--
like pipes with or without 'em--not a deal killer for me--

colorduke

Mar 5, 2011
AT first i didn't care for them now all my old grabows have them in when i smoke them,if they get to wet i just unscrew and dry off and back to smoking,i like to keep my pipes original.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I am not sure that I have ever noticed a difference, but some have a very tight draw which is aggravating. The tube type seem to draw okay, there is one in my Pete Kildare. It passes a pipe cleaner too. Didn't Dunhill do a pipe with a metal tube all the way through, like Brigham with their redwood filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.