Status
Not open for further replies.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Interesting stuff:
DNA from 200-year-old pipe sheds light on life of enslaved African woman

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/16/maryland-archaeology-study-slave-woman-dna-pipe-sierra-leone?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Thanks for the article. It was an interesting read.
Interesting. They could have provided a photo of the pipe, though.
Here you go:
image_650_365.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I did do the ancestry DNA kit, the one where u spit into a tube....took a long time to fill it up to the line where it needed to be. Turns out I could have just sent in a pipe instead! Haha

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Someone in my family did the DNA test kit for ancestry. I must say, the information was not particularly illuminating. It gave a high percent to the nations of origin already known, and really vague guesswork on everything else. I don't think they have enough DNA from less Westernized and industrialized countries, so that information is slapdash. The idea suggested by the TV advertisements for these kits, that it is somehow going to generate unlikely family reunions or give a firm link to some famous historical ancestor seems, from this example, totally bogus. Save your sixty bucks (or whatever the current price is) and do the usual paper and online research to track your roots, if you find that interesting.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I recently read an article about a scarf that its owner claims was taken from the scene of a crime committed by Jack the Ripper. DNA was taken from the scarf and matched to those of current ancestors of various suspects. ( Without those relatives being told the true purpose of the DNA tests.) - - The whole affair turned into a mess. They didn't have proof that the scarf was actually taken (by a policeman) from the crime scene, who had handled it, and where it had been in the intervening years. The people named as Jack the Ripper's progeny weren't real pleased with the whole shoddy affair.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"Told ya, guys, that you do get somebody else's slobbers with estate pipes!"
I was gonna bid on that one, too! It was listed as "completely sanitized and ready to smoke".

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't obsess on slobber. Most of us serenely use what we hope is properly washed silverware at restaurants. I'm waiting for a reconsideration of the efficacy of forensic DNA. I actually believe it is generally accurate, but it depends a lot on the sample and the lab and the expertise, so may be more like 85% than 98%.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't obsess on slobber. Most of us serenely use what we hope is properly washed silverware at restaurants. I'm waiting for a reconsideration of the efficacy of forensic DNA. I actually believe it is generally accurate, but it depends a lot on the sample and the lab and the expertise, so may be more like 85% than 98%.

Status
Not open for further replies.