PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Dont knock it, Disney had one of the largest nicest tobacco/ pipe stores i had ever seen before they took it out of the park. Walt Disney was a huge pipe smoker.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Walt was an avid pipe smoker. He even appeared on his TV show smoking a pipe. The guy auctioning it off isn't shy. He has a starting bid of $120 on a $10 pipe.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Back in the late 70's when I was a young kid, we went to Walt Disney World in Florida and there was a tobacco shop on "Main Street USA". My dad and I went in because my dad liked pipes, and it was pretty amazing. In fact it was larger than most tobacco shops today. I remember he bought one that (similar to the one posted) had the Disney logo on it.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Not the price I would spring for, when you see them at shows for much, much less.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Well you got to think about it. The guy has 3 different collectors that would be looking at it Disney memorabilia collectors, Pipe collectors, and pipe smokers. It will probably sell to one of the first 2.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
FYI... Brian Levine, rep for Brigham pipes who sometimes posts here, has one of the best private collections of Disney pipes and tobacco memorabilia in the world. He used to bring it to pipe shows and it was always very interesting to see.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Back in the early 1980's I bought a meerschaum pipe at the Disney tobacconist store on Main Street, but unfortunately it doesn't have any Disney nomenclature on it. So basically it has NO collector value. I do still have some of the book matches with the tobacconist logo on them. It was a very nice store and it's a shame it no longer exists. I'm sure Walt would be disappointed to know that, if he were still with us.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
It was a very nice store and it's a shame it no longer exists. I'm sure Walt would be disappointed to know that, if he were still with us.

I'm sure there is a lot that has gone on with that company that he would not be happy with since his death. The same thing could be said for my employer. I'm sure Sam Walton is turning over in his grave about how that company has evolved (none of it for the better IMHO) since his death.

fredvegas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2010
How much do you want to bet that if this movie ever got made, he'd never be shown smoking on screen?
ryan-gosling-walt-disney.jpg

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I think the Disney pipes were made by Mastercraft. I have a LL Bean pipe that is a Mastercraft. They made a lot of pipes for popular retailers.

I do have an unopened Prince Albert filp-top tin from the Disney tobacco shop. My parents bought it for me when they were in Florida in the 1970's. There's a coupon on the wrapping for a pipe for $3.95.

How things have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.