PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
On May 01 2019 all Walt Disney parks in Florida and California become smoke free!

No cigarettes No Vaping No Cigars No pipes. :cry:
Screen-Shot-2019-03-28-at-6.18.56-AM.png

Here are the sources of information

https://wdwnt.com/2019/04/watch-parkscenter-episode-49/
https://wdwnt.com/2019/03/breaking-...-park-smoking-areas-new-stroller-limitations/
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/28/business/disney-smoking-ban.html
http://fortune.com/2019/03/29/disney-smoking-ban-disneyland-walt-disney-world/
I love Disney World and Disney land this is sad news but not that surprising to me in this day and age .

The Disney park tobacco shops have been long gone.

I am sure all to the anti smoking Nazi's think this is great news!

I know Brian Levine frequents the Disney parks I am wondering about his thoughts on this news.

This might be a good topic for a pod cast. Maybe Brian covered this already and I missed it?
As far as I know you can still smoke in designated areas at Disney Springs shopping area and the Disney resort hotels.

but this is probably short lived.
I wonder What Dear old Walt Disney himself would say about this if he where still alive? :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've visited Disney World once during the fuel/gas crisis of the 1970's when the parking lot was nearly empty. No lines. It was and is a phenomenon and I'm glad I went. However, from a number of people who've been employees, and from a person who worked with them on licensing Disney graphics, I have the sense that they are quite a corporate tyrant, and one of the more draconian. Indeed, they used to have Disney house pipes as well as tobacco shops. Disney gives me no warm nor fuzzy feelings, but I don't say that often because people enjoy taking their kids to the parks and treasure the memories, so I don't want to be sour. Given the choice, I'd rather take a kid to Mammoth Cave National Park or a similar natural phenomenon. Disney somewhat stage directs a kid's imagination, it seems.

I went to Disney World when I was 16, and it was the most miserable experience of my life. It was for babies. I cannot image what an adult would find to do there. I took my kids to Six Flags every other year or so. The rides were way more fun without all of the baby music and such. I can't believe that Micky Mouse has stayed viable, without having been in a major cartoon, in like what... 40 years? How do kids even know who he is?
People can do or go where they like, and if Disney stuff makes them happy, then so be it. But, it's kinda weird. :puffy:

Reactions: Pipewizard420

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The magic castle hologram ghosts flying around the chandeliers and the robotic Presidents (not too lifelike) and the fiberglass tree house of the Swiss Family Robinson were sort of gawk-worthy. To breathe real life into a child's imagination, though, give them a used corrugated appliance box and let them make a house or a spaceship out of it. The kid's in charge and will be on other planets for a week.

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
Heh, I remember hanging out at the Starcade at Disneyland when I was a kid. Made a beeline for Tomorrowland and stayed there the whole day putting quarters in machines.

Mar 1, 2014
My two nieces under 5 are well versed in the Mickey Mouse universe. Lots of stuff aimed really young.

Paw Patrol and Shimmer and Shine are probably more popular though (it was hilarious when I said I liked the villian one time because the grumpy old queen outlawed singing, the girls gave me the first look of disappointment I’ve ever seen from them).
For what it’s worth I don’t mind the ban of all things smoking at a kids theme park, and I’m grateful they put Vaping on that list when the way people use it is arguably just as bad as cigarettes.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Meh, no big deal for me. I might still go with the kids one day. There are a ton of places that don't allow smoking. Although it is interesting there used to be a tobacconist on site there, as well as a Disney line of pipes.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
I’m a frequent visitor and while I fantasize about the times when there was a tobacco shop, this doesn’t bother me that much. The few smoking spots in the parks were too crowded and near busy corridors, and they will for sure need the space for more seating and rest areas given the stuff that’s coming up.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Meh. I went once and I agree with Cosmic. For the life of me I can't grasp why an adult would go without children. That's just fucking creepy.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I’ve never been. And have never had a desire to go.
I’m surprised they waited this long to do this.
I think Walt Disney had a body mass index of about 38% cigarette ash when he died.
:puffy:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Took my kids when they were 8 and 10, stayed at Fort Wildnerness, they had a good time, except Epcot nothing for me, saw the Rat and his Ugly Dog friend bypass my kids because they weren’t staying at the high dollar Hotel. It’s all about money now, my Daughter took her family on a Military discount, when she told me how much it cost, I just shook my head.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Went to Disneyland (Anaheim) decades ago, when I was a teenager. Nice experience, but don't see why I'd make it a point to go there often. Not having any children, I see no point in going, especially if I can't enjoy myself due to silly regulations.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
A year or two ago, I saw an article that Disney was going to let go a bunch of well-payed IT guys, and replace them with cheaper workers they were bringing in from India. They were offering a severance deal to the American workers, contingent on them training their new Indian replacements, as well as not going to the press. Well, apparently at least one about-to-be laid off worker must have told them to pound sand, because it did get into the news. That story really frosted my ass. Apparently Disney is not alone in this un-American practice. The big tech companies like Facebook have been lobbying hard for years, claiming we need cheap imported labor because there aren't enough Americans here that are capable of filling all of the IT jobs. This is false. The IT labor shortage is purely fabrication...and no, I'm not an IT guy...just hate to see the man sticking it to the little guy ;-)

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
For the life of me I can't grasp why an adult would go without children. That's just fucking creepy.
LOL
Brings to mind the Warren Zevon song:
Michael Jackson in Disneyland

Don't wanna share it with nobody else

Lock the gates Goofy take my hand

And lead me through the world of self

I’m surprised they waited this long to do this.
+1
I think Walt Disney had a body mass index of about 38% cigarette ash when he died.
LOL ... He's also rolling in his grave these days I suspect. (I think there might be an unintended pun there)

Status
Not open for further replies.