PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
With the recent discussions on sellers and refurb/restore practices as of late this one caught my eye. It won't garner the attention of the other threads where bigger named sellers and more expensive pipes are listed but this is just disgusting. These are the people who need to be stopped in this hobby.
Disgusting Seller

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Far more disgusting, to me anyway, are the thousands of weed/pot pipes/bongs that show up every time I do a search on e-bay...... :roll:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I hate to throw water on your torches, but the pipe shown in the listing is 100% legit. Never smoked, not topped.
Charatan just made interesting (and stummel-saving) stylistic choices from time to time. The "short stack" was one of them. So was the "chip rim" (here called a "crackled top")

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Damn! So, the torches are doused and the pitchforks returned to the shed. The townspeople return quietly to their beds, a bit chagrined.
Thanks for ruining the lynching party.
Seriously georged, well done!

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Georged you know far more than I ever will but I am going to need photo proof before I throw water on my torch.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Are people being forced onto eBay? Seems to me that a lot of bottom feeders as well those looking for quality sometimes find what they are looking for. Seems no worse then wandering into "hock shop." Smart shoppers inform themselves and know what they are buying. The neophytes either get skinned or quickly learn. I always tried to learn when I was snookered. Figured it was my own damned fault for failing to prepare.
It's a hard world full of predators and a whole food chain of pray. That's why I became a cop as a kid. But, I also learned . . . there is no cure for stupid. Ignorance? Yes. Stupid? No.
As for eBay? I've looked around a bit, especially when my wife was making and selling metal work. I just know my limitations and only buy what I know from whom I know. This means, no eBay for me. Simply my nature.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
charatan8x2.jpg

If you're referring to something like this georged I think this is a fine pipe and one that I would love to have. I believe the ebay listing is an amateur attempt to duplicate the style you mentioned and the one in this photo. If I'm wrong I'll eat another flake of Latakia.
Bare wood for one. Inconsistent direction of chipping and a burn area into the inner wall always seen in topping.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Georged you know far more than I ever will but I am going to need photo proof before I throw water on my torch.
Chip tops aren't common, but they are far from rare. Here is one I re-stemmed a while back:
e4Ih9di.jpg

As for the short stack bowl, it was also far from rare in the late 70's/early 80's. A photo shouldn't be too hard to find on the Net.
Also, topping a smoked pipe that far down would clearly show a discolored "heat ring" where the rim meets the chamber.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I believe the ebay listing is an amateur attempt to duplicate the style you mentioned and the one in this photo.
Bare wood for one. Inconsistent direction of chipping and a burn area into the inner wall always seen in topping.
Exactly so. :puffy:

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I will eat that flake even though I'm still not convinced. Thank you for the further education Georges. I will send an apology to the seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.