Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
How did you come across "my precious" pipe tobacco blend?
I was frequenting a pipe tobacco shop in Seoul and had been eyeing a particular blend for sometime, not out of taste preference but because I hadn't acquired this specific type of tobacco yet. I had jars full of Virginia, Va/Per, Latakia and a few orientals.

Particularly wasn't interested in Dark Fired Kentucky blends but I bit the bullet on JackKnife Plug and glad I did. It became my favorite blend.
JackKnife Plug is my Desert Island Blend.Yummm, can't get enough.
What's yours?

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
My desert island blend is Margate, found it by trying dozens of other tobaccos and the fact that tins of Our Best Blend are rather thin on the ground.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
My favorite's change, and there's (still) so many out there I've yet to try, so having a desert island smoke would be hard to pick right now. I have a few old standby's that I figured out as Ash says, they're the blends that I know will give me a good, simple smoke no matter what. Stokkebye's Navy Flake is one of them. Again, not my all-time favorite, but one of my most reliable.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I love rum and I love oriental tobacco. Finding Black Frigate twenty years ago at my local B&M was meant to be.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
I have only a couple. Tashkent (from Peretti) was easy. I lived in Cambridge at the time, so visiting Peretti in Boston was a natural and only a few T stops away. Seems like an age past, but visiting a tobacconist makes thing so much easier than mail/internet order. First time I smelled Tashkent, I knew it was for me.
Another blend is the Frog Morton original. When I first joined a pipe forum (around 2005), it was already quite popular. Tried it and loved it. Although it's sweeter than almost anything else I regularly buy, something about it just clicked with me. It's the only discontinued tobacco I haven't been able to find a suitable replacement for (not necessarily identical but something that makes me forget that I miss it).

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Why even deliberate the matter when Dark Flake and rope are so readily available at bargain prices?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Condor Plug - I smoke St. Bruno more often but if I had to choose I would choose my precious Condor. Took me years to find this one because the first 5 or so years that I started smoking I refused to buy tobacco blends that were not available in the States. My curiosity got the best of me and I ordered a pouch of Condor Long Cut and wouldn't ya know it, it just blew me away. So for the next few years I spent a small fortune acquiring a lifetime supply of Condor in all it's forms but I prefer the Plug and that dominates my cellar. As it turns out, I hear that I made it just in time as I've heard the new Polish Condor is cacacacrap....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like Cosmic, I'm a variety guy. However, I'd probably be happy for a long stretch with Tabac-Manil Semois thick cut, though I doubt I'd smoke anything daily with just one blend. It's not just the rotation of tried and true blends, but exploring new ones, even when they aren't as good as the regulars.

Status
Not open for further replies.