PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Hey everyone,
Sorry for the delayed message. I appreciate the concern expressed.
Yesterday turned out only being a probation meeting. Nothing significant came of it.

I found out that I am due back in court for a preliminary hearing on the 14th of August.

What bothers me even more now is what I heard yesterday...

While at the courthouse I was told that my charge could put me in jail for two months if not longer.
The preliminary hearing is after school starts which means the actual araingment won't be until a week or so after that. I am concerned that I may be sentenced to jail time even though I will be in school, thus missing out on the rest of my semester. My troublesome actions couldn't have come at a worse time.

It is killing me to think that my first few weeks at school will be spent worrying about whether or not I will just be putting an entire semester to waste due to jail time.
Thanks for the concern everyone, and as I said before I will keep you informed as I become more aware of the situation. For now I am looking for a lawyer to help me at least avoid jail time.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
hang in there, kid.
try to put it out of your mind because for the most part it is out of your hands. focus on going forward and not thinking backwards. BUT if things do not go your way, stand up and take your punishment like a man.
btw, you should know that if you are in kalifornia, jail is a smoke free place, and that should be enough to try to stay out of it

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I can't help but feel like your going to school will be a good reason not to send you to jail. I mean, probation or s community service type of punishment would better serve society's needs considering yanking you from school to put you in jail is only bound to (objectively speaking, not a judgement call about you personally) send you on a wrong track more than keep you on the right track. I don't know if that makes sense, but hopefully that's how things pan out. Good luck!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Keep us posted Frank. Don't fret or worry too much. What will come, will come.
But as others have said, learn from it. Consider it a wake-up call ;-)

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Well, it isn't going to be easy in school with this hanging over your head. But, as others have said, being in school is a good thing because it shows you are trying to accomplish something with your life and not just being some punk who will end up back up in the system. If you can, see if you can do some volunteer work while you are at it, this might help build your case to keep you out.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
A Good Lawyer: Get One.
The attorney will be able to negotiate with the prosecutor and/or get your trials delayed/rescheduled so that you get the right judge on the right day. I got into a little (ahem) trouble and my lawyer knew the DA would not negotiate before election day because his opponents would say he was soft. I was up for a Felony and could have done 5 years, which was no bueno. He got the trial pushed back until after the DA was re-elected and then was able to get it knocked down to a misdemeanor and all I had to do was a year of deferred adjudication. By the time we showed up to court both parties were already in agreement and judges like that. I was a good boy for a year and no criminal record!
Get consultations and find out wht lawyers can best help you. Court is a game of compromise. I call it "spaghetti and meatballs". Most of the time you are just negotiating how many meatballs you get on your plate, rather than if you'll have to eat it. From your last post it sounds like you will.
Your school, family support and work can make a world of difference in how well your attorney will be able to advocate for you, so make those things happen. If you do get time, having school and a full time job could mean the difference between doing weekends in jail and doing all your time in one bite.
I know the system a bit and I know people who have gone to jail for just about everything, from murder and arson, down to a piddly pot bust, so PM me or email if you need advice.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Its cool bigvan. I know the law from messing up when i was younger. Then I lost my license and kept driving. I had 5 revocations. Thats when I got in the most trouble. I am happy to say that I am being a pretty good boy nowadays!!! If your judge give you jail time ask him to let you do weekends. At least you can keep going to school. Plus most places give 3 days credit for a weekend when your only there 2. Good luck!!!!!!!

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
It is killing me to think that my first few weeks at school will be spent worrying about whether or not I will just be putting an entire semester to waste due to jail time.

Do your best to just focus on the school work you have to do.
I know that may be easier said than done, but if everything else should work out, it would not be good to have lost the first few weeks due to worry.
Keep your goals always in mind and let us know how things go.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Frank, we all feel for you. We don't condemn you--we are, however, as disappointed in your actions that led to this situation as you apparently are. And all of us hope that you'll make it through this in reasonably good shape because it seems that you've learned a lesson.

A number of respondents have suggested that you get yourself a crackerjack lawyer, and while I'm sure you have legal representation, I'm not hearing anything about your lawyer from you. Please give that your most serious thought, and if you have to go into debt to find the right attorney, it might be worth it in the long run. This is not to excuse whatever it was you did, but simply to ensure that you make it through this mess in the best possible way.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I got arrested 15 years ago, and the judge involved was kind enough to me to give me a deferred entry of judgement so it wouldn't go on my record.
It was an embarrassing and painful experience that really helped me grow up and realize who cares about me in life ... and that's about all the positive benefits I acquired from it. For the most part, it was just a hard and harsh time, but it was humbling nonetheless.
The law is far from perfect but it's there for a very good reason. So do yourself a favor, and don't go about getting yourself in that kind of trouble.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
You can always ask to see the judge in his chambers weeks before the trial and before school starts . And beg for his guidance , you might be suprised at the outcome . Judges for the most part just want what is best for all involved and to maybe save a few along the way . They have the ability to be quite creative on what the punishment can be .

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Some hard earned advice from one who's been there. I don't know if there were "friends" involved or what all this entails but and if there were friends involved, in the future choose your friends wisely...very wisely.
Case in point. A "friend" I had known all my life and myself did a stupid thing and were seen by a man out back of where I lived although we didn't know he was around. The police had a couple detectives come out to the house questioning me about it and of course, I lied and also told them there was no one else involved but they knew better. I had to go before the judge and was given three months in a detention center. My "friend" never was questioned as they didn't know him and I wouldn't say. That three months put me way behind in school and when I got out of that place I was a new "man". I had been born again and swore I'd never have to go to a place like that again. I failed the 9th grade English class as I couldn't keep up with assignments being so back logged because of being gone three months. I was given a reprieve and promoted to the 10th grade IF I should I could keep up and do well in English. That class was for those who weren't as challenged as the regular classes. I did so well they not only let me stay in the 10th grade but actually after three months, put me in an advanced English class!
Now to the worse part. That same friend and I a couple years later went to some place where there was dancing, music and drinking and we both got shit faced. I decided to let him drive us home as I didn't feel I could do it but little did I know (what do yo know at 17?)that he was as bad off as I was. He side swiped a car within a mile or two from home and the guy turned around and came after us. I told this friend where to go and turn and then told him to jump out of the car and run since he was on probation and they'd throw him in jail. so, he obliged me and ran. Just as he got out of sight, this guy pulls up along with the cops and they frisked me and questioned me about the other guy. I told them I was the only one and there was no one with me but they knew I was lying.
Some days later I stood before the judge as he questioned me and again lied for my buddy. He got me tangled up in a lie and told the bailiff to take me downstairs(jail). I spent the rest of the day and most of the night behind bars at 17 years old taking a rap for someone else. Fortunately for me my Mom had to appear that day with me as a juvenile and she put up such a fuss they brought me out of jail and again I stood before the judge. I don't recall all he said but in a nutshell he said if I ever appeared before him again I'd best not lie to him. They let me go. Scared the hell out of me and I made up my mind nothing was more precious to me than my freedom-nothing nor anybody. Again I say, IF friends were involved be sure to know them well and choose most wisely. Know how they'll respond under a certain set of circumstances and especially how they react to alcohol. It turns some into a Jekyll/Hyde. If only you were involved may I suggest giving a close, hard look at your life and where you want to be a year from now. It certainly will not involve jail time.
End of sermon.

beewrangler2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2012
From someone who works on the other side of the fence here in Michigan, Frank. We have a saying that goes something like this, "Working here is fear in itself of ever residing here". Not trying to play scared straight, but those are the facts. Hope everything works out, you learn from your choices and get to where you want to be in life.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Ever hear (You have to pay to play) Well some of us goof up but still have to pay to play.

caliban

Lurker
Aug 11, 2012
I hate to say it, but this may be a problem that you will have to throw a lot of money at, in the form of an expensive lawyer. Try to find some funds somewhere.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
colcolt, that's a pretty amazing story of turning oneself around.
Ever hear (You have to pay to play) Well some of us goof up but still have to pay to play.
Yeah I'd say the moral of the story there is to not be so hard on yourself, and keep on with your best foot forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.