PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
I got my first IM corona and I noticed it gets dirty very very easily. The pictures are after probably 20 relights. Is it how its supposed to be or my butane is crappy and I need to get a better one?
img_1940-600x450.jpg

img_1941-600x450.jpg

stflorian

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2015
Thats normal for all butane lighters, its just the burning of whatever impurities are in the butane. Dip a q tip in some alcohol and it will wipe right off.

Sep 18, 2015
I don’t know about ‘normal’ but I’ve been using mine daily for six months now, never cleaned it and it doesn’t look anything like that, there is some soot on the top of the striker wheel where the cap covers but you can’t see it unless the cap is up.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
I clean it after every 4-5 times and it gets dirty as f.. again. what kind of butane do you use?

Sep 18, 2015
I use Xikar Purofine, I’m wondering if maybe it has something to do with how you hold it when lighting? I hold mine so that it’s ‘flat on its side’ like it was laying on a table. Any of the butane’s that are at least 5x filtered should be okay.

a7590644-58dc-4e32-b3d4-ace6411fe60a-600x291.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Getting that dirty after only that few lights isn't right. I have used Vector Signature Premium which is cold filtered up to 14 times for a while with excellent results. What are you using Ronson? That stuff is shit.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I do use the Ronson butane fuel, but just haven't bought anything else yet. Never realized there were so many different butane fuels out there to begin with, but my Kiribi doesn't seem to get quite that bad. It's got a little soot on it, but like others have said, it wipes right off. Mine is only around the flint area and about halfway up the tube that hold the flint and spring, so you may have your flame too high if it reaches the pin that far back. Also, like others have said, you might try to hold it differently. I try to hold mine in a way that the flame is not hitting any portion of the lighter. Sometimes that's easier said than done, depending on where you're trying to put the flame and whether or not it's windy.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
None of my butanes soot up quickly. Fuel could be a factor, but I bet your flame is high and you're pointing it down so the heat and soot rise back up over the whole assembly. But it should be easy to clean; do so just before refueling.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I haven't had any issues with my Kiribi getting dirty like that.
I've had issues with other lights I have clogging but since I switched my butane to the same one cigarmaster referenced I've had no issues and it's the only fuel I've used in my Kiribi.
Vector:
81Grj69zs1L._SL1500_.jpg

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
Update:
Thanks all for comments and help. I was using freakin Xikar, I changed to Vector as suggested and it is much better now. I never had a good experience with any of xikar products

Status
Not open for further replies.