Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I’m on my second bowl of SPC Plum Pudding, I can not seem to keep it lit. First bowl was fresh from tin with 20 min dry time. 2nd bowl was 1 hour and a half dry time. Rubbed out rough with chunks, packed gravity fairly loose. Any ideas on how to get the most from this blend? Longer drying? Wait a few months with it in a jar?
I like the taste, and I know it’s highly recommended, but it seems really hard to light, keep lit, and enjoy. Lastly I don’t have relight-a-phobia, but this is a real challenge.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Reactions: JR Puffinstuff

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
No idea 8O
For me its always been one of my favorite blends and smoked fine right out of the tin, rubbed out and 3 pinch. I do prefer an hour or so of dry time with it, but never had any issues either way.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Maybe try rubbing it out a bit more finely. There is always a balance with these crumble cakes. I try to load thicker chunks at the bottom, and then fill with more finely rubbed out portions.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
How are you drying it? If you're setting it out and the humidity is reasonably high, it may not dry if you leave it out 12 hours. IF it won't stay lit, seems like you're either not packing it right or the tobacco is too wet. Try putting the tobacco in a bounty towel and wrapping it up for an hour before smoking. I suppose the other possibility is if you're smoking outside, the humidity could be so high the tobacco is quickly absorbing moisture.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I think Hoosier is on to something. It’s probably just the summer humidity. I’ve smoked many bowls of this blend with almost no drying and it generally smokes well with no relights. It’s kinda easy going and low maintenance for me. Try a different pipe or two and if it’s not working try again in the fall.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Well that changes the equation for sure. Having lived in Arizona, I definitely understand where you are coming from. So in that case, with literally no ambient humidity, try some different pipes and if not working for you then maybe move on to another blend. But I will say that moisture and relights have not been an issue for me with this blend, so I'm stumped otherwise.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If it isn't humidity, as Neil said, change pipes. The only other thing I can think of could be packing too tight with that blend. Try rubbing it out less and making sure to pack it loose enough. If that doesn't work, pack up your tins and mail them to me. LOL

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks guys. I’ll try a few different shapes and see how it goes. Sorry Hoosier, just one tin. I’m still trying lots of stuff. Only a few things I have two or three of at this point. Just lots of half filled 8oz jars.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I find that this latest rendition of PP is harder to keep lit as it crumbles to dust or it’s either left too chunky, it’s hard to rub it out to get a good proper smoke from it. In its early days it was pressed differently and they used a different supplier, the blend used to be very oily in texture, it never felt like it was dry and it held together more like a ribbon cut than crumbs and it smoked great. I much preferred PP in its early years. Sometimes I’ll be smoking it outdoors while walking my dog and I’ll notice that a good portion of it has fallen out of the pipe, embers and all.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. I have an unopened tin of Plum Pudding. With my slow pace, I have unopened tins of a number of blends. I'll keep this in mind when I open mine. I always find that some drying improves the smoke, so I will pack a pipe the night before, or leave a few bowls worth in a ceramic bowl for a day or three. But I will likely smoke it fresh, to see how it goes, and let it stand (and smoke something else in a different pipe) if I have the problem. Thanks for the heads up. This is worth knowing. I have a medium and tall tin of Potlatch, but that's a different item.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I live in AZ and just smoked a bowl of PP Reserve yesterday. No issues except it was extremely windy yesterday. Like Neal and Hoosier suggest try a different pipe. If you are still having problems I would say its a packing issue.
Not sure if you are aware but the AZ Pipe Club is meeting tomorrow at Big Sticks in Mesa at 1:00. Lots of good folks will be there.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Pack the first third of your pipe without rubbing it out. Pack the second third rubbed out middlin'. Pack the last third rubbed out as finely as you can muster and perhaps let this last third dry out a little more. Like starting a campfire, you put fire to kindling, and then let the kindling build your fire.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Good suggestions, again thank you all. Spartacus, I’m her Desert Ridge, Mesa is a bit of a drive. I have a cigar smoking friend in Mesa, maybe I’ll get him to meet me there sometime.
Thanks for the invite an info.

Status
Not open for further replies.