Difference Between Vodka/Rubbing Alcohol/Everclear?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Not unless your using Kentucky Gentleman lol
Haha, nope. I use shitty stuff that gets left at my house, Jim Beam and what not. A couple ounces mixed with a pint of everclear makes ALOT of cleaner.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
SPC uses Denatured Alcohol for cleaning & retorts (at least as of 4 years ago according to the thread noted above by Embers).

From the Klean Strip Denatured Alcohol MSDS (provided by rcstan of SPC in the cited thread):

Ethyl alcohol {Ethanol} 42.5 -46.5 %

Methanol {Methyl alcohol; Carbinol; Wood alcohol} 52.5 -55.0 %
Methanol is too toxic for use on pipes. I wouldn't buy an estate pipe cleaned with Denatured Alcohol. (Nor am I keen on acetone used to strip finishes during some restorations).
Thanks for the heads-up, Embers.
Sticking with 190-proof Grain Alcohol or high-proof Rum.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thanks for the heads-up, Embers.
It took forever to remember where I saw that then remembered I started that thread about a Ben Wade I got from pipestud.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
Well, between ethanol and iso I would say its personal preference, they serve the same purpose and whatever you're comfortable with. For me, I know enough to know that While iso is harmful if drank (although I've know bad alcoholics that in a pinch will drink it and kill their organs in the process) I've worked with some of the deadliest chemicals on the planet (vx nerve agent and the like) that the extremely small possibility that there might be a few nano grams of iso that doesnt evorpate off the pipe after a day of rest is so slim that it doesnt concern me in the slightest since the air itself has more harmful chemicals in it (and tobacco smoke itself). I still stand by my statement about denatured alcohol tho. Not so much about the concern of the methanol (that would evaporate just as quickly as the iso and ethanol) but unless you know for certain what they put into it to denature it its rolling the dice for sure. If it was JUST methylated, then that's fine. But get that bitter compound or everything else they toss in there and its game over. Your pipe would quickly be ruined.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Is an everclear/bourbon mix ok for cleaning all types of stems as well? Acrylic, Vulcanite, Ebonite, Kryptonite, Meteorite, etc?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is an everclear/bourbon mix ok for cleaning all types of stems as well? Acrylic, Vulcanite, Ebonite, Kryptonite, Meteorite, etc?
I avoid alcohol on acrylic.

Reactions: dcon
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Our highly esteemed member Mr, SableBrush gave me a good lesson on this 'alcohol/acrylic stem subject, good I have read it now and not five years later down the road since continued use of alcohols on acrylic stems could have led to disastrous results

Reactions: dcon

Stickmaker1958

Might Stick Around
Sep 29, 2019
Shasta Lake, Ca.
I would not use anything I couldn’t drink just for safety sake. If you can’t get everclare use a hi grade vodka. All so if you do use real moonshine not the store bought kind be sure to pour a beer bottle cap full and light it up the flame will be blue if it was distilled correctly. Any other color don’t use it or drink it.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
Thanks! Do you think there is a difference between 91-99?

I know there is between 70 & 91.

Yea there is a big difference actually. With solvents I always try to get get as close to 100 percent pure without breaking the bank...Without getting into the details of how mixed solvents work and all the chemistry behind that, just know there is a pretty big difference. But just as a simple example, take a pure product and mix it with a couple percent of impurities and it can change a whole reaction. It will change everything from its melting point and freezing point to its density. In some really sensitive reactions even something like a drop of water will ruin the whole reaction and give you an entirely different product. That's why there is a huge difference In price from consumers grade chemicals to 100 percent pure chemist grade chemicals

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Everclear is better than other forms of alcohol to clean tars and other residues drom pipes because it has the least flavor and lowest percentage of water. This makes it a better solvent and doesn't soak into the briar. Alcohol doesn’t absorb well in wood. That’s why whiskey gets stronger in a barrel, rather than weaker. The water absorbs more readily and is evaporated at a much faster rate than the water in the whiskey.

That said, on rare occasion, I use high proof rum as a pipe sweetener by dipping my pipe cleaner into it.

Reactions: dcon and anotherbob

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I smoke mainly cob pipes with plastic stems.
70% rubbing alcohol discolored the stems, while 50% rubbing alcohol did not. there might be some difference in how the two alcohols affect vulcanite and acrylic stems, but I couldn’t say for sure.

Bottom line for me is that I ain’t performing surgery with my pipes so sterilization is not necessary. I just want the brown stuff out of my stems. So 40 proof whiskey is just fine by me, too.

Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.