PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

goose61

Lurker
Jun 30, 2018
Finally, after getting back into pipes after a 20+ year absence, I get diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.
When it rains, it really pours.

goose61

Lurker
Jun 30, 2018
I guess the next big question is just where I should go from here in regards to returning to the hobby. I know what the obvious answer is, but as with so many things in life, that's not always the one we want to hear.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Get some regular walking and eat moderately. If you need to loss some Lbs, then for a while eat fewer calories than you burn. A tool like myfitnesspal might help you calculate those details. Find the balance :puffy:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I'm Type 2. Smoke my pipe daily. Once the doctor figures out which meds that your insurance company will allow and that will help you control you blood sugars, then you just need to take your meds and watch what you eat. Exercise regularly will also help most people with Type 2.
That being said, not everyone is the same and what works for me may not work for you.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
I agree to a better diet and walking as said above. Like pappymac said, it may or may not work for you. For me, going low on carbs, eating real food (I believe too many preservatives screw us up) and daily walking got my weight down and got me off the medication and it is an ongoing battle. It takes effort and will, but it rewarding when you see and feel the results. I didn't realize how crappy I had been feeling overall until I got a few weeks into the diet changes and daily walks. Enjoy your pipe, you need something to enjoy. Good luck!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Goose, In 2007 I was 243 lbs. and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and my doctor put me on Metformin. I took the pill everyday and went on with my life. In January 2012 I was almost 260 lbs. and my doctor then put me on cholesterol medicine. I decided to do something about it. I joined My Fitness Pal on February 5, 2012 and changed my eating habits and started to exercise (mainly bike riding). On September 28, 2012 (7 1/2 months) I was down to 190 lbs (lost almost 70 lbs). I continued to eat healthy and exercise and in July 2013 my doctor took me off Metformin because my A1C levels were consistently low. In January 2014 I was taken off cholesterol medicine. I have been a member of My Fitness Pal for six years now and continue to eat healthier, exercise, log all of my food and exercise. It's a constant battle. Today I weigh 188, my weight fluctuates 185-190. I am still a Type 2 diabetic and always will be but I control it with diet and exercise.
My point in this long post is that you can control your Type 2 diabetes.
I smoke a pipe once a day, sometimes twice. I will talk to my doctor about pipe smoking at my next appointment in October...I'm sure he won't like it. If it doesn't effect my diabetes, I'll continue to smoke my pipes.
Sorry again for the long post.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I was diagnosed in 2011. Followed the typical ADA program for, like, 4 months and decided this wasn't going to work. Since then I've gone from A1C of 10.5 to 5.6. I control mine through diet alone, no meds.
Not affected at all by the pipe or my nightly drams.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Your doc will never say pipe smoking is ok but, seems to me, if you change your diet and exercise the pipe should be ok.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Scott- No need at all to apologize for the length of your post. It was on point, well written, etc. Length has little to do with how good a post is!

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Well, shoot. Being Type 2 myself, can relate, but worry not re contraindication for pipe smoking. Not connected. I smoke day, often more than one, so....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My astute primary care doctor put me on Metformin as a pre-diabetic, and caught it in time so that so far, my A1C is controlled. They've taken me from four doses a day to one. The data on Metformin is really good. It may prevent some cancers and prolong life in general, so I hope all that applies to me. I've never noticed any side effects even at the high daily dose. I keep the pipe smoking moderate but feel it addresses mood and anxiety, as if I ever experience anxiety. Take care of yourself and post away on Forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.