PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
Denicool crystals look a lot like rock salt to me. Anyone know what they're made of ? Someone gave me a box......jury is out whether they're useful.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I tried them in a few deep chambers. I couldn’t tell they added any taste. They turn coffee color and darker even. I wasn’t sure if they did anything much. I usually use balsa filters and was trying to convince myself to go filterless for the better selection available. I didn’t do it and sold the filterless pipes on trial.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Take a hammer and crush a unglazed terra-cotta flower pot or red brick, into 1/4"-3/8" nuggets. Nuggets should be small, but not small enough to clog the smoke hole. Discard all the tiny granules, and dust, but keep only the little nuggets.

Drop a few into the bottom of your pipe bowl, and add your charge of tobacco on top. Smoke your pipe. Those porous nuggets will absorb extra moisture and rank juices, just as well as any fancy filters. Dump out the spent tobacco and nuggets, too. Done.

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea
I remember reading that they are quartz pebbles similar to what are used in aquariums.

Note that this is also known as silica which can cause respiratory problems if particle dust is inhaled. I don't think you would be at risk using this vs. working in a mine but I'd at least rinse them in case. (it could be something completely different but silica does have absorbent properties)

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
I recently ordered some of the Denicool crystals and they added a distinct chemical taste to the smoke. Also I could detect the chemical taste in the next bowl of tobacco without the crystals. I threw them in the trash. I've had better luck with activated carbon crystals in the bottom of the bowl.

Reactions: anantaandroscoggin

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
the Denicote product I believe is zeolite. I have encountered them in Europe before, being related to tobacco products. I think in Serbia I found some Zeolite Cigarette Filters. Basically it's a mineral that acts like a natural absorbant or catalyst. You can look it up online, I think it's around since the mid 1700s, not sure when it was first used in tobacco products..

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I recently ordered some of the Denicool crystals and they added a distinct chemical taste to the smoke. Also I could detect the chemical taste in the next bowl of tobacco without the crystals. I threw them in the trash. I've had better luck with activated carbon crystals in the bottom of the bowl.
Very same experience here, then we have(at least in Germany) those meerschaum chips which unfortunately are more expensive option

Status
Not open for further replies.