PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick_Green

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2019
Texas
@chasingembers That is an awesome collection of pipes you got there, even more awesome how you chose your pairings!

As for me... It depends on the tobacco really... I dont have enough pipes for soul dedications. But I do use a cheap mm cherrywood pipe strictly for "visions of celephïas" that stuff will ghost the hell outta any pipe. Other than that, I got a pipe I prefer to use for english blends, one for Virginia's and burley's... Im thinking about dedicating my nice new amber spigot to nothing but Esoterica english blends. A beautiful pipe deserves a beautiful brand of tobacco.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
For anyone who doesn't think this makes a difference, take a pipe and smoke a heavy latakia blend for a few weeks. Or better yet, if you can stomach it, a Lakeland blend. Now load up a fresh pipe with a milder straight Va and load this pipe that has smoked a heavy Latakia or Lakeland blend with that same mild straight Va blend. If you can't tell any difference whatsoever, you probably should go to the pharmacy and purchase a few tongue scrapers.

If you were smoking a milder tobacco, such as Virginia, and then smoked a Latakia or Lakeland blend, the ghost would be almost non existent or not even detectable.

I dedicate pipes to a genre and am quite disciplined about it. If you have no issues with smoking a variety of different blends in the same pipe, then by all means, continue doing so. Trying to experiment I described above is easy enough to do if you care to form an educated opinion.

Reactions: dcon

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
For anyone who doesn't think this makes a difference, take a pipe and smoke a heavy latakia blend for a few weeks. Or better yet, if you can stomach it, a Lakeland blend. Now load up a fresh pipe with a milder straight Va and load this pipe that has smoked a heavy Latakia or Lakeland blend with that same mild straight Va blend. If you can't tell any difference whatsoever, you probably should go to the pharmacy and purchase a few tongue scrapers.

If you were smoking a milder tobacco, such as Virginia, and then smoked a Latakia or Lakeland blend, the ghost would be almost non existent or not even detectable.
Oh I believe in ghosting I just rarely mind it and find it's not quite as permanent as I was originally lead to believe it is. In fact there are a few blends I like smoking in sequence. That said some ghost a touch too much and aren't appreciated. Solani Mystery X which is a really interesting aromatic that will ghost with a general sweetness that doesn't agree with everything.

Reactions: UncleRasta

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I dedicate my pipes to certain genres(Va,Vaper,Vabur and aromatic) and to specific blends. I don't have to deal with any English ghosts as I don't smoke them. In my experience ghosts ruin a blend for me. I have purchased estate pipes that had some nasty ghosts. I use moist coffee grounds to get rid of them.

There was no way I was going to try smoking through the ghost as that would be a waste of good tobacco.

Reactions: luigi and burleyboy

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I definitely dedicate “genres”. Balkan/English pipes are virtually interchangeable to me, as varying proportions of the same components yield the same overall residual flavor. If it is lat heavy, I only smoke it in Balkan/English pipes. Same goes for fruity AF aromatics, which are my 2am drunken guilty pleasure. Have to have a pipe set aside for those. Straight VA’s, in my opinion, definitely deserve a dedicated pipe. They are very subtle and nuanced, can’t smoke those out of an English or Aro pipe. The rest of my collection mostly fall into “Va Blend” (god only knows what that means) or dark fired pipes, which is also a fairly broad brush to paint with. And I guess I have a pipe for Lakeland’s, but those also vary widely, so some of those cross over into Dark Fired territory. So yeah, again... genres.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
The pipe dictates the use. Most of my pipes are quite small and are used exclusively for Virginia based tobaccos. My larger pipes seem to perform better on burley's and the occasional Presbyterian or Frog Morton.

Oct 7, 2016
take a pipe and smoke a heavy latakia blend for a few weeks.
I smoke and enjoy lots of different styles of tobacco. You can ghost any pipe with a steady diet of anything. But I don’t think that is the way most people are smoking these days, especially the younger ones who are looking for advice and seem to be the most paranoid about ghosting.

Closest I ever came to sticking to one style was when for a few years I had three rotator pouches, one with 2015, one with 2035 and one with 1980’s era Escudo from my stash, and wouldn’t smoke anything else except maybe a few times a week, if that. I can not conceive of limiting myself to that degree today. Back then I was an all day, everyday smoker, as much out of habit as anything. Now I enjoy the variations more than I ever thought I would. A bowl, or two, or maybe even three of Mixture 79, Erinmore or Ennerdale every now and then won’t ruin your pipes.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I smoke and enjoy lots of different styles of tobacco. You can ghost any pipe with a steady diet of anything. But I don’t think that is the way most people are smoking these days, especially the younger ones who are looking for advice and seem to be the most paranoid about ghosting.

Closest I ever came to sticking to one style was when for a few years I had three rotator pouches, one with 2015, one with 2035 and one with 1980’s era Escudo from my stash, and wouldn’t smoke anything else except maybe a few times a week, if that. I can not conceive of limiting myself to that degree today. Back then I was an all day, everyday smoker, as much out of habit as anything. Now I enjoy the variations more than I ever thought I would. A bowl, or two, or maybe even three of Mixture 79, Erinmore or Ennerdale every now and then won’t ruin your pipes.

I mostly agree. Aside from a heavy Lakeland or Aromatic, I don't think you're going to ruin any pipe. Even then, I don't have the personal experience so I don't know for certain. Harris swears he bought a couple of eBay pipes that must have previously been heavily smoked with Latakia and/or Lakeland that were hopelessly a lost cause. I'd like to believe at worst, a healthy reaming and if necessary, salt or coffee grounds treatment would make the pipe recoverable. Seems like 20 bowls of your new tobacco would build up a sufficient cake to mask whatever was smoked in it before. Again, I can't testify to that, just applying logic. But logic doesn't always fly with pipe smoking.

Oct 7, 2016
I mostly agree. Aside from a heavy Lakeland or Aromatic, I don't think you're going to ruin any pipe. Even then, I don't have the personal experience so I don't know for certain. Harris swears he bought a couple of eBay pipes that must have previously been heavily smoked with Latakia and/or Lakeland that were hopelessly a lost cause. I'd like to believe at worst, a healthy reaming and if necessary, salt or coffee grounds treatment would make the pipe recoverable. Seems like 20 bowls of your new tobacco would build up a sufficient cake to mask whatever was smoked in it before. Again, I can't testify to that, just applying logic. But logic doesn't always fly with pipe smoking.
Back in the day when Erinmore was really Erinmore, it was widely regarded as permanent ghost material. Smokers I knew who loved the taste (as some of the old files that came out show, it really did have pineapple once, along with Tonquin) were careful to never smoke more than a bowl in one pipe without following it up with several bowls of something else. I had one old Edwards pioe, no big deal money wise, that I got in a trade that I tried everything to get rid of the Erinmore. Finally gave up and dedicated it to Erinmore. But American Aromatics will leave a ghost, too. Those usually come with a thick soft cake and reaming goes a long way in solving the problem, but sometimes they can be persistent.

My sense, though, is that a shockingly high % of posters I see around the various internet hangouts are new, have limited budgets, but want to experience a wide range of tobacco with a limited # of pipes. I really don’t think they need to worry all that much about ghosting issues. BTw, your interest and interaction with those who fit this description, here and on other forums, is very commendable. Keep it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.