PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Tonight I was packing my tools into the truck and I got a message from my wife that she had ordered fish n chips from down the road and I was to retrieve them. I was feeling slightly irked to find myself driving without a pipe, but SLIGHTLY preferred that deviation of routine to the thought of my chips going soggy from the extra wait time. As I drove out I leaned on something on the armrest and realised I had an old beat up falcon on hand, and so with a renewed sense of optimism and a sloppy corner gear change I reached around behind my seat until I found a jar of something. The 'something' turned out to be Sutliff's Edgeworth match. AND A MATCH IT WAS! This old falcon, and my ready rubbed match are going to be my first attempt at, if not a marriage, then at least a long term monogamous relationship between Mr Falcon and Ms Edgeworth.

Recently there was a thread where our resident Captain showed a beautiful pipe he was dedicating to a single tobacco. I know this practise is fairly common amongst you folk, but I was wondering how much rhyme or reason goes into the equation for each of you?

In the past I have really only dedicated pipes in the sense that I have given them rough genre boundaries like "thou shalt not latakia this one" or 'yum yum bubblegum gooey aromatic corncob".

Isaac.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was wondering how much rhyme or reason goes into the equation for each of you?
None at all. Tobaccos taste the same to me regardless of which pipe I smoke them in so my dedications are more out of whimsy than anything. Here's a few I have dedicated.

This one looks like an old volcanic island rising out of the sea. Perfect place for a pirate treasure; Black Frigate.

This is a fugu blowfish. I associate blowfish with the orient. Orient-oriental; Yenidje Highlander.

This one looks blistered from intense heat. The red flaming acrylic band on the stem conjures images from Dante's work; Devil's Holiday.

This one, carved by a fan of opera and classical music, has a stem adorned with musical notation; Symphony.

This one's carver loved Three Year Matured Virginia, and the lapis mortise strongly resembles a tin of TYMV.

Mellow Mallard for this guy.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have some dedicated pipes. As the Cap’n said, mostly whimsy. For whatever reason that day the tobacco tasted great when that pipe was devirginized so I stuck with it.

Savinelli Spigot Sterling 315KS Bordeaux——SPC PP SR

Kaywoodie Relief Grain Poker Churchwarden—-Esoterica Tilbury

Brigham Klondike Canadian———Penzance

Vauen Auenland Eron Sandblasted Churchwarden——-Old Gowrie

Tekin Meerschaum Latticed Tomato (7+ inches)——McClelland Xmas Cheer

Peterson Irish Harp 606——McClelland 40th Anniversary

Peterson Dracula sanblasted 87 apple——Cult Blood Red Moon (only smoked on Halloween)

Old Dominion Jamestowne Clay——-Margate

Comoys Scrimshaw——Black Frigate

Other than that a lot of pipes only get english blends, other Va/Vaper, others aros, others anything, etc.

Last edited:

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I think in the past I have had the ratio of a small amount of pipes to a much larger list of blends I liked, and was trying. Now that I have a few pipes pulled together and my blends have been very much narrowed down I assume I will find myself pairing things up, although probably not exclusively....

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I don't really have enough pipes to dedicate pipes, but I do kind of keep them genre-specific. But even that isn't very rigid. Just the other day I wanted to try a VA blend in a wide-chambered pipe, so I used my "Latakia pipe" and it was fine. Certain blends I've found work best in a certain pipe, and so I'll dedicate a blend to a pipe, but it's one sided, as my pipes are never monogamous in return :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I decided I wasn't going to chase ghosts. I guess if I smoked Lakeland aromatics with the rosewater and geranium flavorings, I might designate two or three pipes, but for everything else, and since I have north of eighty pipes, I don't worry about it. A little afterglow from the last blend along with the current one doesn't strike me as bad, but I rarely taste any such thing. Particularity and fussiness doesn't suit the mood with which I approach a pipe. I feel more dreamy and expansive. Also, I don't build cake, and don't need a reamer, so there is less for ghosts to haunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.