PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I used to love splitting and stacking wood when I was younger it was always the bringing frozen together stacks into a freeIng house that sucked haha but I sure was a stron young kid. Glad my Dad had me do that when I was a youngin definitely part of why I have the work ethic I do now.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
A couple years ago I was in the deer woods by myself (a weekday and my oldest son was at work) and ran

up on a pack of hogs. When the smoke cleared and the survivors were out of sight, I had three laying on

the ground. I thought to myself "Oh Crap, What Have I Done?" This was about an hour after daylight and

I spent the next four hours just getting them out of the woods. I had texted Charles and luckily he was

able to take off and come help with the butchering. My point: Think before you shoot!
(With a single shot - Model 1885 Browning High Wall)

405728_3131860943520_1512618844_n-1.jpg

jaywellington

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2012
Athens, Greece
I don't want to offend anybody, and I shouldn't post, I guess... But I couldn't resist:

Why??? Killing something you can eat, ok; killing something for a trophy, or to decorate a wall, it's a waste of nature...

I can partially understand the hunting culture, I know what I'm saying might sound aburd, but I feel sorry for a wasted life of an animate organism, even if it is non-human!

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Hey! I like Bambi too..... Right next to my mashed potatoes and under some gravy!
I have never killed anything (non-human) that wasn't going in the freezer and eventually on the table.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
My parent's neighbor pisses me off because he shoots about 10 deer a year and never eats any of them.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
@jaywellington, we have a house rule that applies to us and anyone hunting with us..if you wont/cant eat it, you will not kill it. Besides you can get mounts and other various trophies without wasting the animal...I'm an avid hunter, and I think I speak for every resonsible hunter when I say..killing for the sake of killing is a waste and ridiculous. I agree with you.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I have 80 acres right next to my uncles 240 that my oldest son and I hunt. I also manage my uncles land and

work almost all year long to improve the wildlife habitat. I totally understand jaywellington's point of view

and respect his feelings on the mater. As far as I'm concerned, that's what this forum is all about.

No Problem!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Last thing I hunted was birds. I won't hunt dove/quail unless someone is there to take them and eat them. I don't like them and I hate feathering those damn things. Way too labor intensive for the payoff. Other than that I've only recently shot some coyote and feral dogs. If I ever get to somewhere there's lots of wilderness and public land, I'll start warming up my bow arm again. Just me, the bow and maybe a .44 mag for any large predators that cross my path.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
...get in shape for bow-hunting is to leave the log splitter in the shed and hand split about a quarter cord
Now, it may just be a coincidence, but when I was a teen I did a lot of bow hunting. My folks heated their house with 16 cords of wood a year, and I did most of the splitting. :lol:

Killing something you can eat, ok; killing something for a trophy, or to decorate a wall, it's a waste of nature
100% agree. It was drilled into me from an early age even before I went hunting, that respect for nature and the bounty of the land is paramount. We do our level best to ensure the animal suffers a little as possible and is utilized to the max. While there are a few insensitive "rootin shootin" hunters out there, I think you'd find the majority of the community to be respectful of the animals and protective of the land. Knowing where that roast came from, and how it got there really does make a difference in your perspective on food.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
+1cgrd..I'm a member of ducks unlimited, if you check into them (there's a similar organization for about every form I believe) their main concern is maintain and contribution of waterfowl habitat and properly harvesting birds...

ovidsmuse

Lurker
Sep 12, 2012
You guys are really making me miss hunting, never smoked and hunted at the same time though. Growing up in Southern California, smoking while hunting/walking isn't the best idea, back at camp close to the fire with the brush cleared away is ok though. Used to get my limit of Mountain Quail in the morning, go back down to camp and catch some trout, build a mud 'stove' and smoke them while having a bowl of Old Dublin. But now I live close to San Francisco, not nearly as much hunt able forestry and blm land close by :(

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
Being from the UK i have limited hunting experience. Shooting rabbits and fishing mainly. Always ate what i killed. Always throw back fish right away unless it is for the pot. I was wondering just like jaywellington. I feel much better knowing that kill what you eat applies. That kind of hunting i can understand.

I worked as a butcher when i was 16 and spent a month in an abattoir.
I kind of have this belief that if you cannot kill it yourself then you have no right to eat it.

winterland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Minneapolis
I grew up in Northern Minnesota hunting deer, grouse, rabbit, squirrel etc. Trapped mink, beaver, muskrat, fox etc.

Last year was my first year smoking a pipe while hunting. Here is my son with the whitetail I shot last year. I love venison and most all game and fish. Good for you too.

IMAG0108_zps9dd57620.jpg

winterland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Minneapolis
My parent's neighbor pisses me off because he shoots about 10 deer a year and never eats any of them.

??

What does the neighbor do with the deer that they shoot? If he actually lets it waste I would report him.

Status
Not open for further replies.