PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
After the suggestion came up on one of my other tamper threads, I decided to try to make a tamper out of Purple Heart Wood and I think it turned out pretty well!
20190330_184754-600x291.jpg

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
That turned out really well! I made one from Purple Heart a while back with a Dremel, and it turned out ok, but I had a hard time not burning the wood. You did great!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
That's exactly what I used! I discovered that you have to keep it turned down low. If you start burning the wood, turn it down more until it actually almost slows down when pressing into the wood. Course, mines a variable speed version, so others might not respond the same way.
I appreciate it! It was actually fun to lightly burn it in places as it seemed to bring out a deeper purple in spots.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It's interesting. It looks like the color is fading in parts. Are the dark purple areas the grain coming through?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That tamper is very cool. As hoosier said, lots of purple heart in pool cues. I once had one loaded with it, gorgeous stick. For the life of me I cannot remember who made it.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Thanks fellas! I appreciate it!
It really is a beautiful wood to work with.
@didi, the darker purple areas are locations where it burned only slightly. Amazingly, it just got deeper in the purple in those spots. I tried to save more of them, but through fine sanding, they disappeared. If you kept the sanding drum on it too long, it would eventually turn black, but was curious to see the purple at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.