PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I had this Grand old Maple taken down from in front of and over my house this week. Thank you American Electric Power for killing it! This the wife standing behind a cut off the trunk.
yONngHk.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
They had it down in 6 hours. Baddas ass stump grinder I have ever seen!Was taking that stump out in 6 inch deep swaths...

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Damn. I had a 47 year old poplar tree I had to remove from my property 2 years ago. With the tree hanging over my roof, it took the arborist's 3 days to actually take the tree down. Unfortunately, the majority of the tree was over my roof, so it needed to be removed chunk by chunk, branch by branch. It was impressive to watch if nothing else.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
That's how they did this one. Was on it like ants!Used a bucket because a huge piece was directly over my house...

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
weezell,
Coincidentally, I just had a 75 ft Silver Maple taken down. It had some pretty large branches hanging over the house. I was really sorry to see it go, but it was just too big and too close to the house. It was 60 years old.
I wish the power company would have done mine. I had to pay $4000. :crying:
maple-337x600.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This week, my wife backed into a small cherry tree in our backyard, $800 damage to the tail-light and tailgate. I was somehow blamed, because I was finishing a pipe and reading the paper and she was impatient to get started on yard work.

The cherry tree survived....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Condolences on that grand old tree. I have one of several oaks, one of two growing on a bank, that shows some splitting in the bark near the base of the trunk. I have to get a forestry pro or arborist to look at it before I consult a tree service, which of course will say it needs taking down. I just want a disinterested pro to give an assessment before I pay serious money. I feel like you have to go with the real pros. So many "tree services" are a guy in a pick-up with a chain saw who was little experience, equipment or knowhow. At least you got the pros to do the job right. May that fine old maple rest in peace. I can see it was a beauty. Yeah, the power companies ... the name fits, having little to do with the electricity they provide. As in misuse of. Even with the stumps ground out, the chipmunks and yellow jackets love those hollows left by the roots. And the hawks love the chipmunks.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Long time ago in Baton Rouge I let a power company use my front trees to eat their lunch under, I had a big Sheep dog that hated strangers. Locked him up while they ate.Getting up to go back to their trucks, paper everywhere, cans in yard I let my dog out, you should have seen the assholes and elbows trying to get in their trucks with my dog chewing on their butts. Later I talked to their Foreman and told him why I sicced my dog on them. He made them come back and police the area, but they were not welcome anymore. It's strange because line crews are usually the best people. I know with all the Hurricanes here I've dealt with a lot of them. Sorry Wezz about your tree.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
So many "tree services" are a guy in a pick-up with a chain saw who was little experience, equipment or knowhow.
My experience also... "Of course the tree must go! How else will I get paid?"

Cliff_K

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2016
Ferron, Utah
The power company took out half of my Willow when they said they were only going to cut back 18-24 inches, so now it's dying and I have to remove it before it decides to come down in the neighbors house, and they raised my power rates last month to top it off. I agree though, you should make a table with that maple, it looks like a really nice cut.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
A power line followed the drainage ditch along the boundary between my place and a grapefruit grove and along that ditch grew a thick line of Australian Pines. After a freeze one year, many parts of the pine tree system died.

Every time we had a good blow thereafter, it would result in one of these trees knocking out the line.

One day they came and cut all the pines along that ditch to a height below the line and let the tops fall into my yard.

It looked like I had been bombed. Eventually I burned it all. I made huge bonfires with thick 4' logs I'd cut them down to, and we had bonfires for weeks.

I'm surprised that no one came to object.

Status
Not open for further replies.