PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I listened to a few minutes of the albums posted by deathmetal, and feel it might need to be an addition to the Clergy Pipe Smokers thread. I'll admit to liking some of it though, Black Sabbath in particular. My problem is, I'm now an old fart with tinnitus, but I always liked hearing different kinds of music. The metal music I am more familiar with is of the heavy metal type. I have a couple of albums by Nine Inch Nails that I like and play from time to time, and I also have an interesting album I got in the late 80s that works the senses called Nosferatu by Art Zoyd. It was made to be a soundtrack for the silent film of the same name. There's so many different kinds of music that's been made down through the years, and it all quite interesting. 8)

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
In high school I hated metal until I sang with the Milwaukee symphony...the layered rhythms and chords in metal then made sense. If this sounds weird it's ok my wife thought that was nuts too
Cries of the Past by Uneroath after singing Handels Messiah makes sense to me though

The music just conjures up such raw, primal rage. It's funny how we become our like our parents at some point. It conjures up memories of my Mom's reactions to hearing me cranking up Grand Funk or Led Zepplin. She'd barg into my room slamming down my turntable, yelling, "This crap makes me want to KILL!!!"

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Not my genre at all......... but I drive my kids nutz with my music of choice. I can veer into different realms, but don't stay long in the metal spot.... Makes me a bit ill....... :(

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Here you go George. The best metal video ever. Hang in there until about the 45 second mark. 8O
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWFWazj7Ud8

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
I was never a fan of straight death metal, I found it far too repetitive. I do like a bit of black metal though, or even blackened death on occasion. There are a lot of tech-death bands on the go at the moment but it's a very hit and miss sub genre. I loved the last Fallujah album though; great musicianship, tastful atmospherics and I can actually make out the occasional lyric!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWIF-hxJEng

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
I'll hold the flag with you deathmetal! Here we go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmu6dsq9TXw
m/ ;)

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Obituary's "World Demise" was the song I was attempting to embed, but I can't figure the embedding process out and I need to leave for work.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
DeathMetal? Great guy!
The Genre? Out grew it. But still respect the orchestratic/TimeSignature/ Classical/technical modes of death metal. Celtic Frost, Deicide, Death, MorbidAngel....yea I used to love that stuff.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
I've always found it funny that I can enjoy punk, black metal, but find death metal one dimensional (with a few scant exceptions). More than anything I do enjoy the over the top imagery and band names/song titles. It's theatre, it's a character. Sort of like the "hipster" thing several of you like to go on about.
As with smokes though, to each his own, I'm not one to judge.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I listened to a few minutes of the albums posted by deathmetal, and feel it might need to be an addition to the Clergy Pipe Smokers thread.
I think that's a good idea. Death Metal will lead you to religion. I will try to explain this briefly, because my tendency is to ramble on.
(1) There are musical similarities between death metal and church music, including selective use of the whole scale and use of form; this is a response to the call/response method of the blues, which probably originated in Scotland of all places.
(2) Death metal terminated in black metal, historically. This was music which took the anti-mainstream/esoteric/occult views of death metal further into nature worship, paganism and a type of devotional.
(3) People forget the full Nietzsche quote: "God is dead; God remains dead; and we have killed him" (paraphrase). Without an inward impetus to resurrection, there is no discovering of God. Death metal takes the Nietzsche path of "undergoing" (through animality) to restoration.
$0.02, which is now worth almost as much as two pesos in 1987.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
@demetrakopoulos
I mainly listen to Industrial of which there is a subgenre called Death Industrial.
The closest I get to that is K.K. Null or Godflesh.
@perdurabo
But still respect the orchestratic/TimeSignature/ Classical/technical modes of death metal. Celtic Frost, Deicide, Death, MorbidAngel....yea I used to love that stuff.
Seems the peak of the genre to me. 1988-1993 were its busy years.
@scarface
This guy smokes more mixture 79 than anybody here!
Indeed!
@Cosmic
It conjures up memories of my Mom's reactions to hearing me cranking up Grand Funk or Led Zepplin.
My Mom hated all of it, but warmed up to Slayer over time.
@theosprey
No Celtic Frost?
An essential band, but I included Hellhammer, their previous iteration. I should've tossed Morbid Tales on there too!

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I just find there's so many subjects in music these days.

Ie death,power,symphonic,doom etc. I just like metal. I'm all over the map Ghost bc,Huntress, Cradle of Filth. Halloween,Avatarium. along with the classics black Sabbath,Moorhead, act.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Music hasn't been the same since Lawrence Welk died.
A little known piece of Welkian history: He did make one valiant but tragic effort to be hip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFmSv2WFDrs

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Excuse me but lumping in any of those death metal bands with Black Sabbath is blasphemy. Ozzie actually sings, he doesn't just scream into a microphone with lyrics that no one can understand. Black Sabbath plays more than one cord of music in their songs. Black Sabbath 4 is one of the greatest hard rock albums in the history of hard rock. Me and my band learned everyone of their songs and played them pretty damn well. Other hard rock bands were Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep,Grand Funk Railroad, too name a few. Death Metal( my son was into that and his band played it in my house) is a form of music that is an affront to real music. Every death metal band sounds the exact same, with the exact same singer screaming into their microphones at the top of their lungs and being totally unintelligible.
Because my parents used to tell me my music was garbage and a total affront to the music they grew up listening to, (Sinatra,Tony Bennet, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, and plenty of others, my parents choices of jazz was something I listened to an appreciated) I gave my son's music the time and consideration that my parents never gave my music. After giving his music every shot I could, I had to determine that his band sucked, his music sucked and the entire genre of death metal, sucked dead donkey dicks.
I really tried to find something of value in it, but no matter how hard I tried, I could do nothing but call it like I saw it, garbaaaaggge. Please do not get upset with me death metal connoisseurs I really really tried to like you. I am a musician( drums and other percussion instruments) so I have a good ear for all kinds of different music. I like old Motown, Jazz, Classical, Reggae, Sinatra, Dean Martin, and other crooners, almost every genre there is, but death metal is beyond my understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.