PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The way I see it, we are all kind of a family here, united by our love of piping, and quite small in number. Sometimes dysfunctional, but a family none the less. Sometimes, a family has to have discussions about serious, even grim subjects. This is one.
I know there are restrictions on offering items for sale on the forum, number of posts, etc. This is to keep out the opportunists and grifters, and is well-needed. But what should happen if one of our esteemed colleagues should suffer an untimely demise and leaves behind a substantial cellar?
I will speak only for myself here, as always. If I were to pass suddenly, my wife would be stuck with a pretty valuable cellar, and no clue what to do with it. It twists my guts to even think of sealed tins of excellent tobacco going to the landfill instead of being enjoyed by fellow pipers. Not to mention, the passing of a loved one can be difficult financially, and sometimes every little bit helps. This is the only place I know of where someone looking to get rid of a cellar would not be taken advantage of. I am only speaking of members who would already meet the requirements of buy/sell/trade on the forum, not complete strangers. But is there any mechanism in place where a member's spouse or family could dispose of the cellar in a manner humane to the tobacco, and possibly beneficial to the member's survivors?

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
Since many of us are retired aks( alte kockers. Old farts). This actually is of consequence. Shel Ps 100's of pipes also

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Funny you should mention it, framitz. My forum name is a corruption of Alte Kocker. Pipe smoker, so more of a Caker than Kocker!

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Like any other asset, due diligence should be employed. Make your heirs aware of the value of not just your pipes and tobacco, but all of your possessions.
Just like you wouldn't want your widow to sell your rare 1969 Corvette Stingray for pennies because she wants "that old dusty Chevy" out of the garage to make room for her quilting supplies, the same goes for your tobacco and pipes. If it's worth a lot, write that shit up in the will! :puffy:

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I've told my wife that if anything were to happen to me, that she should contact Steve Fallon (Pipestud) to dispose of my pipes and tobacco stash.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
But who would you will it to? I can see my children or nieces and nephews possibly wanting one of my pipes as a keepsake, but not the tobacco. Interesting possibility, though- PipesMagForum could be the beneficiary, and there could be a whole new (although slightly macabre) Dead Man's Cellar Box Pass! That would be pretty damned cool, too. Smoking a bowl in memoriam, as it were.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
My greatest fear is that my wife will sell my collection for what I told her I paid for it.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Pipestud is a good option I had not thought of. From what I can see, his reputation around here is absolutely impeccable. Thank you for the suggestions, guys. Of course, keep 'em coming!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
One of the guys at our club inhereited a cellar awhile back. He was a friend of the deceased. He kept what he wanted and sold the rest, I actually helped him sell a bunch of it. You can put anything into a will, even item by item. Do so with your cellar.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I have all my cigars and all pipe tobacco and pipes specifically earmarked in my will. Now who wants in my will?

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
This has crossed my mind, my sudden demise and what would become of my cellar and collection.I think a note with the website, user name and password left inside my cabinet may help her contact someone. Pipestud first came to mind but as always that border would be a hindrance.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Specialty items should be specially provided for in a will. Beyond simple bequests ["To my son-in-law James, that cerain meerschaum pipe in the likeness of a sea captain which he so often admired."], your will can and should contain whatever instructions you wish your heirs and personal representative to have.
For example: "Those tins and bags and jelly jars in the closet of my den are valuable cellared tobacco. My family may select from them anything they wish to keep, and the rest can be liquidated by contacting John Smith at main Street Pipes and Cigars. Mr. Smith will liquidate the balance of the collection and is entitled to a fee of 25% for his services."
Or whatever you like. This is a wise approach for any valuable, but esoteric collection, whether it is guns or pipes or pocket watches. By designating a person with knowledge to handle the collection, you give your family a lot of peace of mind, and you avoid expecting your personal rep (executor) to be omniscient or clairvoyant. It's not enough to tell your wife, "Honey, if I go, tell Smitty at the shop to handle my collection." Get it into the will.

DISCLAIMER: I am a lawyer but I am not YOUR lawyer. Free legal advice is worth what you paid for it. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
LOL
I don' write wills for a living, but I always believed that, where clarity isn't compromised, there's no reason not to have them contain a nice turn of phrase or two.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Perhaps we should all sign up to a last man standing situation, where the longest living member ends up with one hell of a cellar?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
What? Me? Worry?

tOjncy3qjE-2.png

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The more responses I see, the more I am thinking a posthumous donation to the forum at large would be a great idea. I'm not sure of the mechanism we would use for it, though. I know quite a few members are involved in providing pipes (and presumably tobacco as well) to new pipers, vets, members here who are weathering rough times, etc. I would be proud to have that type of generosity be part of my legacy.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Keep it simple. Your family will have enough to deal with without any complicated plans. Steve Fallon is a good choice, 4 Noggins also sells vintage tobacco. At the West Coast Pipe Show last year, the widow of a deceased collector set up a table and disposed of his collection.
Just make sure that they know that the cellar is valuable. Inventory it with suggested prices. Just don't leave any mysteries for them to figure out.
And if worse comes to worse, bubbellah, you can always leave it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.