PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
If you are so concerned, I would leave a letter for your wife to be opened after your death, disclosing login details for your account. I hope that would not be a problem with this site, if she can post your death notice, but then I suppose this would only work if you registered with your legal name.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
If you are so concerned, I would leave a letter for your wife to be opened after your death, disclosing login details for your account (not in the will, you wouldn't want some untrusted person profiting off your stuff). I hope that would not be a problem with this site, if she can post your death notice, but then I suppose this would only work if you registered with your legal name. Or perhaps you could will the collection to this forum, if it could establish a permanent program for the distribution of donations?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
puffndave, love your twist on my signature. This forum is nothing if not thought-provoking! As I posted earlier, should Sablebrush not be in a position to appreciate my cellar, it will go to the forum as a whole. The members here are notorious for their generous nature, and a great many of us have fallen on hard times here and there. I would like it very much if we could start a program wherein a well-established, participating member could look at a comforting bowl of his favorite tobacco as the last of his worries in hard times. If you can think of a way we could make it happen, I would love to hear any suggestions!
Regards,
Aldecaker

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
puffndave, love your twist on my signature. This forum is nothing if not thought-provoking! As I posted earlier, should Sablebrush not be in a position to appreciate my cellar, it will go to the forum as a whole. The members here are notorious for their generous nature, and a great many of us have fallen on hard times here and there. I would like it very much if we could start a program wherein a well-established, participating member could look at a comforting bowl of his favorite tobacco as the last of his worries in hard times. If you can think of a way we could make it happen, I would love to hear any suggestions!
And this is the heart of it. My first thought, when I read adlecaker's intent to send me his cellar, was Holy Cats! My second thought was, "and it will need to be distributed". Because, one of the great pleasures in having tobacco is sharing it.
There are a number of members here who quietly share from their cellars. I really enjoy doing that. For example, I have a few pounds of Penzance, and it's not for smoking, as I don't like that blend. I enjoy sharing it with others who do like it but can't get it due to the hoarders. I have enough tobacco to last me many years, perhaps more than I will live long enough to use as I'm no spring chicken.
I very much like the idea of a tobacco program similar to shaintique's pipe project, assuming that aldecaker decides against monetarizing it for his family. Such a program would be a fine legacy.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I think distributing it to people who would enjoy it is more important than any monetary value it would have. I received many thoughtful responses to my OP, with many great suggestions, which I appreciate. I just had to digest them all, and decide what was right for me. Settersbrace's comment particularly struck a note for me: Dad's cellar may well be the last thing on anyone's mind, and my choice might have the added benefit of being "one less thing" they have to deal with! Thanks again to all who responded.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
I guess pipe smokers are more mature than the rest of the world or maybe we're just all old and have made our peace with death :). The tone and lightness of the conversation regarding one's own demise is refreshing. I'm almost 40 and the majority of my friends never want to discuss death (which I discuss a lot :)).
It might be possible. Have the mortician stuff you with 30 lbs of your favorite blends, then cremate you. They can tamp and relight until you're a nice white ash. If you go this route, I recommend aromatic blends.
I almost fell off my chair laughing at the above :).
I would leave mine to fellow Canadian pipe smokers given the prices here. If I can continue to put smiles on people's faces even after I'm gone I'd say I lived a life worth living. Who better to make smile with pipe tobacco than a fellow smoker!?

Status
Not open for further replies.