PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bron340

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 16, 2019
Minot, ND
How does one remove the oxidation on a silver mounted spigot stem? Do you immerse all of the stem or should you only soak the stem and keep the silver out of the de-oxidizing solution?

Okay. Silver polish, Glass cooktop polish, Chrome polish (all 3 of these have the same oxidizing components) will all work quite nicely and I bet you have at least 1 kicking around the house. Keep the polish off the briar.

If you feel like getting ripped off, go buy a silver polishing cloth for 5-15 bucks. That will work too.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
How does one remove the oxidation on a silver mounted spigot stem? Do you immerse all of the stem or should you only soak the stem and keep the silver out of the de-oxidizing solution?
Silver cleaning cloths work well, jewelry stores sell them. Definitely don't want anything remotely abrasive. Most of the jewelry guys here don't even like silver tarnish creme.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
So, just the stem (removed) in solution if you really want to do a soak. And no solution should get on the sliver band or mount, nor the briar.

What do you plan to use?
I don't use liquid solution at all, just fine sandpaper, micro-mesh and if needed, mineral oil.

I use mineral oil on the stems and rim tops after every major cleaning. Impedes oxidation and makes for a nice finish. Not mirror-like, but shinier than matte.

In fact, OP, you might first try a light coat of mineral oil first, using a paper towel for some light abrasion. It might save you some work.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I personally would tape off the silver part with painters tape, then depending om the level of oxidation, I either scrape with a razor knife, I like the long ones that have break off sections. Scraping gets rid of a lot of oxidation fast. Then I sand starting with 320 flexible and mineral oil. Move up in grades and use mineral oil. Buff with white diamond, high shine using a microfiber cloth with some rottenstone sprinkled on it...

That's just me and items I have around the house.

Reactions: dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
"I personally would tape off the silver part with painters tape..."

Exactly. Just as an example of the idea, working on the stummel with a spigot mount.59795980

:)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Stem oxidation can also be removed with a lighter and a wet paper towel to minimized material loss. You can get a mirror finish by using Barkeeper's Friend and following with plain white toothpaste for a mirror black finish.

bron340

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 16, 2019
Minot, ND
Usually I soak my stems in an Oxyclean solution to raise the oxidation, then sand with finer and finer grits of sand paper ending with micromesh pads for shine. I am curious if the oxyclean will hurt the silver. The pipe in question is a sterling silver army mount Peterson.

Status
Not open for further replies.