PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I haven't read comics for years, but this sequel of Watchmen sounded too exciting to ignore. It's a crossover with the DC universe, and issue one introduces a more deranged Rorschach character. It's a twelve issue mini series, and I picked up the variant cover with the lenticular Rorschach mask. Finished it a few minutes ago, and can already tell that this is going to be something special.
5e8.gif

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I bet it is a fun read. I respect Alan Moore's principles too much to support it though. DC may own the right's to Watchmen but they can only butcher the characters at this point. IMO

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Six bucks for a comic book! I'm not doubting it's good work, and the going rate, but I'm used to the ancient days when they were 5 or 15 cents. I'm intrigued by what must be the influence back-and-forth between the comic book format per se and the ever-evolving graphic novel. They're somewhat the same thing, but not really, not in terms of audience and intent always. I'm often reluctant to wade into a graphic novel, and sometimes I'll start and abandon it a few pages in, but if I get drawn in, it is an involving experience. I'm not sure it is as intense (for me) as reading a novel or looking at pure visual art, but it certainly has power.

Jan 8, 2013
Six bucks for a comic book!
It really depends on a number of factors, if it's a special run like the one above (only 12 issues), number of pages, etc... Most comics ranging from 25 to 30 pages usually sell for 1.99 to 3.99. This comic is a special run, a crossover series, and 40 pages, making it 5.99.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
Graphic novels are a great medium for storytelling. The story format is based on the comic style, where the words are meant to be displayed with a picture, often as words from a character's mouth. Comic books tended to be for a younger audience, leaving this great medium untapped for adult material. Graphic novels fill that gap. There is a long history of comic book censorship due to the alleged market. Look up the Comic Codes Authority if your interested. If you wanted to talk about real life you couldn't do it in a comic book. Graphic novels are like any book, except they are usually made by two people instead of one. So instead of it needing just a good author, it also needs a good illustrator.
Just to explain why I would never buy or read this book more clearly:

Alan Moore basically got swindled in losing his creative rights to Watchmen. He is a real artist, who is invested in his work. He works tirelessly trying to make his community a better place by supporting education for the disadvantaged. He is adamantly opposed to advertising and making money off of people. To see his character turned into a billboard for DC characters is an obvious personal insult to Alan Moore by DC. If DC is willing to destroy and disrespect the spirit of Alan Moore so blatantly, then I doubt their creations will be of any real substance. They are focused on getting money out of your pocket and care nothing for the individual.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wish the literary magazine market were half as developed as the comic book market, with whole stores with the books in plastic sleeves and scholars doing studies of the various ones. Many literary magazines that ran for years are unavailable without a real search. If the staff has not taken custody of copies, they may be available only by coincidence. The press runs and market was so intensely niche and small. A friend did a notable collection of N.C. lit mags and recently donated it to Wake Forest University, where the library accepted it as a collection, many of the individual stories and poems signed by the authors. He had, I think, dozens of my pieces signed by me for the collection over the years. But this is totally rare.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Just finished issue 2. Nuclear war is inevitable, and a extradimensional manhunt for Dr. Manhattan ensues. Familiar DC characters are coming into play, and a surprise character appears to have made a return. Cash cow or no, this is getting good.
Doomsday-Clock-2B.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Dark, and well thought out. This one really seems to be going somewhere. Already have issue three reserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.