PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Nope, no reason not to unless I happen to get 'bitten' or not feeling well. I had an upper respitatory thing going on a couple weeks ago and I think smoked one bowl a day and the bowl lasted me most of the day. It helped sooth the throat but made the coughing worse as I am an 'occasional inhaler' of my pipes. I guess it's from me being an ex cigarette smoker.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
The only days I don't smoke by choice are when I'm going on a date or have to spend time with my family. Other than that, I'm always looking for a chance to enjoy a bowl of baccy.
I hope you don't mind me asking, why is one not allowed to start a fire on the sabbath?
You shall kindle no fire throughout your settlements on the Sabbath day.
-Exodus 35:3

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I hope you don't mind me asking, why is one not allowed to start a fire on the sabbath?

I'm curious as well.

You shall kindle no fire throughout your settlements on the Sabbath day.

That doesn't really answer the question. He is asking why, as in what is the reason. I see that is written in the bible, but that doesn't really give a reason.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I don't have any specific days when I say I'm not going to smoke. If anything, I go the other way. When there are days that are particularly meaningful to me -- the days my parents passed away, their respective birthdays, the day I lost a beloved pet -- I actually make a point of consciously reflecting on them as I smoke a bowl in their memory. I also do the same every September 11.
Bob

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I don't think a day has gone by in the last thirty years where I didn't smoke a pipe. If course I can't smoke at work. But before and after, and on weekends and holidays, why its an all day function for me. I'm never without my pipe.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Got to hand it to Mike Phillips who hit the nail right on the head. Without going into an overlong discussion on religion which would be out of place on this forum, that's the bottom line. For those to whom religion isn't a critical issue, it wouldn't mean very much, but for Jews like me, it's important. It's a discipline that connects me to God. It isn't onerous, nor even slightly unpleasant. We try and reserve the 7th day for things not associated with the workaday world, and while pipe smoking is certainly pleasurable, it's one of those things that I don't do on a day that my faith has made sacred for me. 'nuff said.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
As an observant Jew, I concur with the rabbi, although there is certainly a way around the problem of 'causing a fire to burn' - the flameless lighter! One could argue that the spark and glow of this type of lighter - like that of the electric light bulb - might violate the 'spirit' of the commandment, and is nothing more than a legal fantasy. On the other hand, orthodox rabbis seem to have no objection to the legal fantasy of 'selling' hametz (products containing leavened flour) while actually still keeping it in your residence. Everyone, it seems, has his own view of the nature of the commandments. And BTW, there is absolutely nothing in the Bible which forbids 'causing a fire to burn' on a major festival such as Passover.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
No days I don't smoke.
I am a little more likely to smoke Presbyterian blend on Sundays though. (I'm an elder in the PCA and it just kinda gives me a kick. That or GLP Westminster -- if I feel like a longer confession)
(Sorry -- really inside Reform Protestant joke.)

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I forgot about sick days. Or if I'm not sick and just have a sore throat. I also haven't smoked in the last week because I had my wisdom teeth removed, but I enjoyed a bowl today.

Status
Not open for further replies.