PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I have a tin of Mac Baren HH ODF I bought new about one month ago with a date of June 2013 on the back label. Can I assume that this was packed on 6/13? If that's the case, I should leave it in the tin rather than jar it for aging, as opening the tin would stop the aging that has been going on for almost two years. I know that some companies, such as GLP, date their tins and some do not. I know that many people jar new tobacco for aging, but is it common for new tins to already have a year or two of age on the, as this Mac Baren tin seems to? (unless I am misinterpreting what the date means). Do you guys factor this in when you jar for aging? I am a little leary of the seal on square tins, though.

ju][/url]

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
These tins keep their seal well, I have not had one go bad yet. I would leave it in the tin and buy bulk to jar up. The tins will start to rust though but Mac Baren did not think this was a big deal and it will probably be another couple years before you would have to worry it. The date on the back is when it was tinned from what I understand. Another thing about ODF is after its been open for a couple weeks, you will notice a huge improvement in flavor. Its good out of the tin but give it some air time and its much better.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Square tins don't hold up as well as round ones. If you aren't going to smoke that particular blend for a year you'll be fine but for any longer, if it were me, I'd pop it, smoke some or all of it. If you don't consume it in a reasonable amount of time just jar it in a mason jar. The seals are good on square tins but once popped they are just press on and that dries out your stash pretty quick. ODF is one I'd not consider a blend that needs or will benefit greatly from any more additional age. It's components have seen plenty prior to tinning.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I jarred all my tins of ODF within a year of purchase, as they were rusting.
MB puts the tin ate on the label.

Status
Not open for further replies.