PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The much-beloved Danish Pipe Shop reports this morning that, due to recent revisions to Danish law, they will be barred from any advertising, including sending out their email and print newsletter. Will this affect their PipesMagazine site sponsorship? I’ve emailed them to ask that question.
The email:
Hello Dan
Dear friend of The Danish Pipe Shop!
As you might remember we recently asked you to verify that you were living outside Denmark in order to receive our news mail. This was to make sure we didn't violate any Danish laws. Unfortunately, we have learned that by Danish law a news mail is always perceived as advertising for tobacco or tobacco related products. This happens despite the receiver (you) is over 18 and has signed and accepted for it. Nevertheless, Danish authorities have emphasized that sending news mails to receivers outside of Denmark is also considered illegal, because we as a company have to comply with the laws that applies in the country, we are sending them from (in this case Denmark). In other words: We can't send out news mails anymore.
Whether we can send news mails out about non-tobacco products (books, flasks, grappa, rum etc.) is right now investigated, but naturally the effect is that you won't hear so much from us as we would like.
Another change we have been forced to make is to remove the Special Webshop Offer section. By Danish law it's illegal to advocate for tobacco and tobacco related product with price reductions. So, having a 'before and now' price is illegal i Denmark. We have changed this section to New Price, however, you will only be able to see the current price.
We are naturally sad about this situation in general and especially since we here in 2019 celebrate our 50th anniversary. As a close follower of us we just wanted to let you know that we are not dead :) and encourage you to check the website now and then.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. Don't hesitate to contact us or me personally for questions.
Kind regards Nikolaj Nielsen, nn@danishpipeshop.com
CEO of The Danish Pipe Shop

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Everywhere is enlightened if your views happen to mirror those of the majority in control. So if you consider a place that finds a man puffing on another man's genitals acceptable but finds pipe smoking reprehensible, Denmark is indeed enlightened.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
What they need is an extremely prolonged government shutdown...solves all kinds of problems. Find a way to make it permanent and your troubles are over.

cerfer

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2017
What's most chilling is how quickly the Danish Pipe Shop has complied with all of these regulations in Denmark. You don't ask the gov't how high they'd like you to jump unless you know they will back up their laws with severe sanctions. There's a fine line between prudence and fear sometimes.
I bought my first "good" pipe from the DPS, and I still have a couple of tins of Brown Sugar Flake. It's not quite RIP time, but it's getting close. These incremental steps are really disheartening.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Which reminds me, a Forums member gifted me with a new tin of Brown Sugar Flake, and after a respectful time aging it, I opened it. It didn't last long! Mighty fine.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
What's most chilling is how quickly the Danish Pipe Shop has complied with all of these regulations in Denmark.
I don’t believe that anyone here is privy to the process that the Danish Pipe Shop went through before complying with these new regulations. Nor are we conversant in how Danish law and regulations in these matters are administered and enforced. To suggest that a company should not comply with laws and regulations rings hollow when you have no stake in the outcome or understanding of the possible consequences of non-compliance. .

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I just received a package from them. They are very much alive. The pressure they are under is the pressure of public opinion enforced by politics, that smoking should cease to exist. They can do nothing about that.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
I got that email, too, and that news sucks. They seem like a nice group of people, too. I've made a few purchases from them over the last couple of years, and they were fine to deal with. Amazing that they can't even email us updates anymore...

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The pressure they are under is the pressure of public opinion enforced by politics
Democracy in action. Two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
They (gov't) have ways to pinpoint your location. Not even a VPN is that reliable anymore.
I wouldn't be surprised if they're monitoring the Danish Shop's web traffic.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I mean you could just say you live in Denmark and get emails right?
No.

They are forbidden by law from advertising domestically.
Now, this makes me wonder: How is STG (also based in Denmark) affected by these regulations?

Status
Not open for further replies.