May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Taking a moment to think of those brave men and give thanks
120606121335-d-day-01-story-top-600x337.jpg

I can't imagine stepping off that landing craft

historypiper

Lurker
Nov 12, 2015
Always remember, never forget and make sure you instill that thought in at least one person of the next generation.

Regards,

Historypiper

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Goggle ignores D-Day. Doesn't surprise me. A Sargent from Louisiana fitted a tree cuttin blade on Tanks because the Hedgerows exposed the underbelly of the tanks, thereby they could plow right thru them. Media will ignore this Memorable Day. Son jumped with the Old Timers for the 50th anniversity. :clap:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you want to understand the ultimate success on D-Day, read Dwight D. Eisenhower's "Crusade In Europe." It isn't very well written; the General wrote it himself. It is grinding and ponderous in places. But the drift is, Ike and his staff had a savage appetite for excruciating details, millions and millions of them. These extended through every possible consideration of logistics, equipment, weather, strategy and timing, into mind-blowing considerations not just of the personalities and blind spots of the enemy leadership but of all of the character traits of their allies, military and civilian leadership. Eisenhower didn't just do this work, he bathed in it, he buried himself in it. If it weren't the world in balance, it would have been insane. And then the whole invasion had to be put on the edge of iffy weather. Astonishing individual.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
My great uncle Ernie (Ernest Teckman) crossed Utah Beach 72 years ago today as a 26 year old Technical Sergeant (equivalent to a Sergeant First Class today) and fought across Europe until the very end with a Purple Heart and a Silver Star in his service record. He was also a pipe smoker who converted to cigarettes during the war.
May he rest in God's Blessed Peace.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I always lift a toast to those who died on D-Day and to those who survived and went on to other battles. I try to visit the National World War II Museum in New Orleans on Memorial Day but couldn't make it this year. Incidentally, the museum was originally named the D-Day Museum. If you ever find your self in New Orleans go spend the day there and pay the extra to sit through "Beyond all Boundaries". It's a 4-D experience that's well worth the money (they even make it freaking snow inside the theatre.). I also enjoyed
They also have Final Misson: The USS Tang Experience where you get to take part in a simulation of the Tang's final misson.
There is even a special exhibit honoring the Merchant Marines.

Jun 4, 2014
Remembering the men who fought and died to establish a toehold in France, that led to victory over one of the most evil regimes in history.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Google's search engine routinely has animated little scenes to commemorate stuff. Famous events, famous people's birthdays, and so forth.
Today, D-Day was ignored.
Fairly recently, this person was honored:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Kochiyama
(Be sure to read the details of her activities, not just scan the article.)
It is becoming clearer by the day that he who controls discourse on the Internet will soon control the world. Further, that massive resources to that end are already being deployed.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
In a 2003 interview, she expressed admiration and support for Osama bin Laden, saying "...I consider Osama bin Laden as one of the people that I admire.
On June 6, 2014, the White House honored Kochiyama on its website for dedicating "her life to the pursuit of social justice, not only for the Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) community, but all communities of color."[
Okay :roll:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I'm simply disgusted with the news media. I'm retired and have been home all day and I did not hear one, not ONE mention about D-Day on the T.V., and or the radio! All I heard all day was about Muhammad Ali (who refused to serve) so it's quite obvious that the news media considers him more important than the thousands of those who gave their lives 72 years ago. My father (God Bless his soul) got as far as St. Lo before he lost his face (literally) and both of his eyes.
My apologies for what should be considered a solemn day for all Americans, but... FUCK THE NEWS MEDIA!

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
[/quote]All I heard all day was about Muhammad Ali (who refused to serve)
I copied this from elsewhere;

Draft Dodger, Lifelong critic of the United States of America and its Armed forces, Lifelong member of a religious organization that preaches hate for the Caucasian race, Outspoken supporter of Islamic Wahhabisim, Lifelong financial supporter of Louis Farrakhan, Lifelong adulterer, Financial supporter of the Black Lives Movement, Outspoken critic of the existence of the State of Israel and made countless comments as too the evil of the Jewish religion and Jews, A one time financial supporter of the PLO and friend of Yassir Arafat. I guess I need some help in understanding why this man is being defined and memorialized as a National Hero???
A lot of coverage of D Day here in Canada, it hasn't completely gone to shit here yet... YET.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Please, lets not make this a discussion about Muhammad Ali as I only used his name to make a point about the absurdity and ignorance of the news media. :wink:
A lot of coverage of D Day here in Canada, it hasn't completely gone to shit here yet.
Well, at least it's good to hear that at least the Canadian news media doesn't have their collective heads up their ass'.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Shame on me for forgetting all about this historic day and thank you for posting! Truly an epic event in history for freedom.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The U.S. Coast Guard was at Normandy also. Many of the landing craft was Coast Guard Manned and a flotilla of 60 83-foot cutters rescued 1500 allied soldiers from the water and transported them to safety.

http://www.uscg.mil/history/articles/h_normandy.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.