PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

super8mm

Might Stick Around
Dec 15, 2013
I ordered a Meerschaum MacArthur Cob because she thought it was cool, I told her it was a rather big pipe and she said that was ok.
Well when it arrived and she tried it she had to agree that it was a bit bit and asked if I could cut it down some.
So my question can I just measure the depth of some of my other pipes and trim it down with a hand saw?
DSC_2060-M.jpg

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
If you want a real style MacArthur, look at MMs Emperor model, it has the regular size bowl, but also has the look the pipe MacArthur used, but if you are hell bent on cutting it off I don't think any problems would arise.

~Ron

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Given that these are not expensive pipes, I think I would just order a cob of traditional height

and try smoking the MacArthur for a year or so. If it still doesn't appeal to either of you, take

the plunge and saw it off short. However, if it smokes down the whole way, it could be a nice

Sunday afternoon pipe, for long lazy smokes. Off-size pipes sometimes have good use. Same

thing with small ones, Group 1 pipes.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
May you'll grow into it. :roll: worth noting: General MacArthur smoked a briar pipe most of the time. The oversized corncob was a publicity thing that he did at selected moments as a photo op.

super8mm

Might Stick Around
Dec 15, 2013
I'll see what she wants to do. I do have a small cob that makes a good coffee break pipe as I can just get my tamp into the bowl but she does not like that "LOL"

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
No problem. Lob the top half off and sand it smooth.

Not like you want to repaint Mona Lisa to see how she looks in a wifebeater. Its just a cob. Theirs millions of them out there, there will be millions more to come !

super8mm

Might Stick Around
Dec 15, 2013
guess I will go ahead and cut it down some, as we all know if wife is happy all is good in the world "LOL"

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
Sure you can cut it down... But you might have your membership to this forum revoked.

Status
Not open for further replies.