PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I can't decide what this clay-pattern(ish) pipe should be called, since it's 50% Cutty and 50% Dublin. Never seen another like it.
Smokes great. :puffy:
35.5 grams, 7.2" long
P1020151.jpg

P1020160.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Its a 'cutty' as the bowl is canted forward in the fashion of a late 17th century clay pipe. Its a very nice piece and very reminiscent of a pipe style made by Dunhill.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I agree that it's a cutty.
But then I love that it is almost a Dublin.
And I always enjoy these "what's that shape?" debates.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hybrid shapes seem to be showing up more often. I got this from Dan Chlebove of Gabrieli Pipes.
I have that shape, and it's over 100 years old. :mrgreen:
img_20160629_123205-600x337.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Pretty piece, whatever it is.
It isn't an anything. :lol:
Early in my career as a KC carving contest judge, I figured it was only fair to see firsthand what making a pipe involved, so got a block from Quinton Wells and gave it a shot.
The shape was chosen because I'd always "seen it in my head" but never encountered one in the flesh (OK, briar).
The color is Dunhill's pre-WWII Bruyere---always elegant, imo---and the stem is a length of Mike Butera's proprietary Lucite. (I'm sure you've noticed from the last month's pics how much I enjoy cleaning oxidation on my own stuff... not.)
Anyway, its turn came up in the rack for a portrait, and here we are.
Glad you like it. :D

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
You made that one?
Yes. It's my first and only "whole" pipe. I did make "half a pipe" in 1978---a 70's-style table sitter---which has a stolen Ben Wade stem (back then I had no idea how to find or buy a molded repair stem, never mind cut one from rod).
In fact, I still have the pipe, corroded stem and all (don't you love the irony, me being a refurber/repairman? :lol: ). haven't smoked it in 30+ years, though.
First_Pipe_1.jpg

First_Pipe_2.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Very nice George. Can you make one in meerschaum thats about 5 1/2 inches long with an amberine mouthpiece as I am sure you would have a line from here to the Brooklyn Bridge to buy them!! Seriously though that is a very nice pipe and really does resemble a Dunhill 'cutty' I saw on Ebay go down for mega bucks last year.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Earlier I answered Jesse's comment with, "It isn't an anything. :lol: " which, upon re-reading, sounds snarky. He, obviously, was referring to the shape, while I thought he was referring to the maker's company name. Of which there isn't one. It's not an anything. My apologies, Jesse.
As for trying to start a meer factory, I'm pretty sure a number of Turks have already figured that out. :lol:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Not sure how you stopped carving after producing that.
Easy.
I discovered that making potential lifelong friends for smokers isn't as fulfilling as saving the lives of their existing ones. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.