PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
So, there was a thread about customs issues in Egypt, and it had to be deleted for an issue with a comment.. So, me and jvnshr discussed that we may start a new thread for people to discuss tips about customs issue in their countries. So here is mine again.

I had an order from 4noggins that was sent promptly and spent a whole month in Egyptian customs. And after the month, it was delivered with about 60$ of customs fees, though the order costs with shipping 46$

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Customs duties are what they are. If you import anything that is subject to duties and your package is opened, you are going to be charged the duty. You may have been unlucky and it may never happen again, or, it might happen every time you try to order from (in this case) the U.S.
Good luck.

Mike S.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Mike pretty well summed the situation up. If you are going to send your country's money out of country for products, your country is going to make you pay for doing so in many cases.
As an aside, I thought your first post was fairly benign, I woke up in the morning and it was gone. Anyone remember the mod who pulled it? I would like to know how it went sideways.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Well I was trying to thank a certain seller and it turned out I was too enthusiastic, so I wanted to delete the comment, but it wasn't possible so they did the whole thread.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Anyone remember the mod who pulled it? I would like to know how it went sideways.
Warren, I have responded to your post however I am too lazy to write it again :) I don't even remember my whole post.
By the way, I didn't discuss for the thread, I have pm-ed Ahmad regarding the thread and I have been informed that it had been deleted :)

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
When it comes to importing tobacco, it has everything to do with weight and nothing to do with value. One concern will be the customs agent charging you for the weight of the package, rather than the weight of the contents.
There is no such thing as an exemption when shipping tobacco through the mail, even though there may be exemptions when carrying tobacco across boarders in person (after a vacation, for example).
Lastly, if you order the product, expect to pay duty and customs fee's. In the cigar world, many suppliers will make you pay the customs up front before they ship. This happened, I assume, because of people refusing to pay the charges and sending the product back. This obviously results in extra costs and labour for the shop.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Actually this is the problem here in Egypt.. there is a weight customs fee and a value sales tax, even if you're using it personally & not commercially

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
I believe here in UK you can import from US as long as value is below £15 for me this depends about the strength of the sterling vs the dollar as to being worth while or not. Even with the recent slump in pound sterling it is cheaper for me than buying in the uk plus I get to sample US brands

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I live in Panama, and mainly order from the US. Customs charges are not a problem, but shipping charges are. Does anybody have any links on suppliers from countries other than the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.