PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
Well it had to happen customs finally caught up with me. it seems they want $259.44 for my $30.00 tobacco :cry:

so it looks like i am going to be bying NZ priced tobacco , its the missus who is not happy as she was liking the aromas from the aromatics i had been trying. i am a bit bummed but resigned to the fact that hey! thats what tobacco costs down here. so hopefully i can grow enough next year to have a bit of fun trying to make a good smoke.. But there is a silver lining. i am moving to the other end of the island so i will try and slip some more through to a new address. oh well enough of my semi gripe. onwards and upwards

rick777

Lurker
Jun 16, 2011
Hear ya.
I tried to slip an extra 25g past Canada customs, well, fortunately it only cost me an extra $27.

This will teach me to exceed the 200g "tax/excise" free limit coming into Canada.

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
mate i wish we had a limit you could have, but here any tobacco incurs an import duty so even one cigar if found collects it.

rick777

Lurker
Jun 16, 2011
Bummer.
I am considering a trip to NZ for the Targa. (as crew, in october)

I hope they don't nail us for all the cigars and tabac we will be hauling with us.

We all smoke a lot, 7 guys times 5 cigars a day over 2 weeks. Plus extra to hand out to friends, thats well over 500 cubans plus who knows how much pipe tabac.
Growing my own has been something I have always wanted to try, but our climate here makes for crappy pipe tobacco.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
My goodness... that is a nightmare! Do you have to pay it all, or can you just tell 'em to trash it or send it back? 8O

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
I am considering a trip to NZ for the Targa. (as crew, in october)

I hope they don't nail us for all the cigars and tabac we will be hauling with us.

We all smoke a lot, 7 guys times 5 cigars a day over 2 weeks. Plus extra to hand out to friends, thats well over 500 cubans plus who knows how much pipe tabac.
all i can see is be carefull they are gunning down here to be the first smoke free country. which is a bit of a laugh as we have a high per capitia of waccy bakky smokers..

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
we have them but they dont stock much in the way of variety, nothing like you guys have and certainly no bulk buys. so its pretty much erinmore, borkum, and amphora. there is one i just found that stock macbaren and peterson when they get it..

martin

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2011
Same problem across the ditch mate, I'd love to try and import some nice baccy but I know our customs will

make it near impossible.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Absolutely deplorable! Sometimes I think we here in the U.S. don't appreciate how good we have it.

Horror stories like this should make us all strengthen our resolve to fight unreasonable taxation.

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
Ouch :(, a smoke free country hahaha, who are they trying to kid. It will never happen tobacco is the goverments biggest tax income, in the uk at least, anyway sad to hear of your plight seanz.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Didn't the "Land of the Free" fight a war about excessive taxing about 250 years ago?
The colonies had to pay 2% of their total income.
I'd email you some tobacco if I could. ;) We need a P2P torrent network for it.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
@seanz a question: Did the package come directly from the retailer? If so, not surprising customs picked up on it.
Have you considered making the purchases indirectly (that is, through a friend in the States), or asking the seller to package them more discreetly?
Social engineering via taxation is one doubly offensive characteristic of a nanny state.

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
well i have thought about "care packages". but as the only persopn i know over your guys way is a crack head now i think i have to get freindly with some "good people" :wink: but that would be a good option .

Status
Not open for further replies.