Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

letsgodowntherabbithole

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2011
So I took the plunge and purchased my first crumble cake tobacco. (Briar Fox) I got it in the mail today and it wasn't a day to soon. I have the next two days off work and it was nice to crumble a bit off and kick my feet up and watch it rain. I love this tobacco and I really think it is in the top 5 of my favorites.
Thinking of all of this though has me questioning why crumble cake. I saw a youtube video on how to make your own and I was wondering if changed tobacco's at al or just made them more compact. I have a tin of tobacco here that I call my bastard blend, I just sweep any extra tobacco into the tin the happens to fall to the table when I'm loading my pipe. I may just press it into a cake if it will change the qualities of the tobacco.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'm sure the pressing process does have an effect on the tobacco. Penzance is one of the most memorable crumble cakes I have ever smoked. Unlike other crumble cakes though, it is not ribbon cut and then pressed into a cake. It literally crumbles to bits when rubbed. Makes loading very easy. just crumble, gravity fill like pebbles into a glass, lightly tamp and smoke.

tinmanfromjbb

Lurker
Nov 7, 2011
I was curious about crumble cake....I am contemplating the purchase of Cornell&Diehl Blockade Runner. I am a novice pipe smoker but the reviews I have read have gotten me closer to taking the plunge and purchasing...

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I have a few crumble cakes that I enjoy on a regular basis.

They are all H&H blends. Classic Burley Kake, Anniversary Kake, and Marble Kake.

Best ones out there for my money.

Per Russ Ouellette:

Crumble Cake-

1) A pressed tobacco using cut tobacco rather than raw leaf. It is then sliced so it can be prepared however the smoker prefers- rubbing out, chopping, folding and stuffing, etc.

2) What happens on a pipe smoker’s birthday because there are too many candles on it.
The process marries the flavors of the constituent tobaccos, producing a more even blend.

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
It is a way to get different tobacco to "marry" or meld together quicker than if they were just left loose together. I am sure Greg P could add some additional reasoning for crumblecake. I believe it also jumpstarts the fermentation process, but I am not sure of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.