PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Just found out my bank account has been compromised to the tune of 3000$ +. I was the victim of a fishing scam, were some crook computer programmer takes random numbers and charges minimal amounts on a group of numbers. then the ones that go through, they sell to other crooks.

had charges made from great britain, Utah, new York, and five other states in the same day.
I now need a stiff drink and several bowl fulls off baccy.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Sounds like a good scam, how does it work again ? :wink: Seriously, bad luck, is your account insured through your bank ? they must be at fault to let it happen.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
To a point yes but it takes up to 60 days for total refund.

Flipin sucks had to cancel a cruise.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Several years ago someone hacked my debit card number.They actualy used it while I was in the bank checking it out.They were caught.The bank refunded my money.It took about ten days to get it back though.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
That sucks. We had something similar a few years ago, but they were trying to be sneaky. Small transactions totaling less than $100 and the bank somehow caught it immediately.

puffin

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2010
I had a card that was charged very small amounts (less than 5 dollars) in a number of different states that was caught by my bank. They cancelled before they even called me. I was very impressed with their detection department. It truly sucks that you got hit with this, but it could happen to anyone, hopefully you can recoup everything. Best of luck!

logandow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2011
Oregon
Someone tried to send a bunch of computers (around 30 or 40 I think) to Australia couple years back. Confused the hell out of our insurance company

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
It's pretty much a straight line; Crooks suck, Guns kill, Killing crooks reduces crime. Yet one more reason to move to Florida!

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
That's got to be BS, the bank surely can't take 60 days to make restitution when it was their negligence that permitted this to happen!
Go to the Media, the Banking Ombudsman if you have one, your local councillor (think you call 'em Senators), expose the bastards for their negligence & stupidity for failure to maintain proper security on their systems. How dare their ineptitude cause YOU to cancel a cruise, they should be reimbursing you that & adding damages to it so you can upgrade to a better one. If you get it in the media, others will come forward, class actions always seem to be the way to go over there in the Land of Litigation!!!

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
They can take that long, and so long as they disclose it when you open your account, it's perfectly legal ... I worked in fraud investigation for WAMU a few years ago.
I don't use banks anymore. Paypal I use for small transactions but I never leave any money in it.
Banks in general are kinda nauseating me. Credit unions, cool.

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
That is terrible. What a pain. Some people have nothing better to do than disturb others negatively. I'm sure it will all work out, hang in there.

funn

Lurker
Jul 28, 2010
Same happened to me w/my credit card..they saw small purchases country wide that was out of the norm for me..Gave me a new number and card & wasn't charged for the scam. Now I'm thinking out moving my bread to my credit union. Don't like the idea of being charged for something I can do myself with what I own...

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Hey man I had it happen to me last year for about that much as well, the bank usually does it right though, I had my money back in a couple days

sirsmokesalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2012
North Carolina
I totally agree with "pipetrucker" on this one! I haven't used a bank for 2 years and I've never

been happier! I use the walmart Free cash back option and a pre paid debit/credit card. No headaches no hassle!

No Over drafts!

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
the bank i use is a pain in my ass sometimes but its a good thing if i have charges in more then one state or like the other day i used my debet card in 3 different towns the third one didnt go through till i called the bank and answered some questions proving it was me

Status
Not open for further replies.