Crooked Tenon on Stem - How Can I Fix It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Well, damn! This thought has not left me: If it were placed in an oven at the right temp for the right time, you could straighten it with no risk the tenon would swell or shrink. Or see that doing so caused a gap between the stem and stummel.

Unfortunately I don't know the right temp or time, but I bet someone does.
Interesting idea. I found this "How to Bend Vulcanite Stems" on Reborn Pipes.

Kitchen Oven Method

METHOD:
This also is a simple process. I use one of my wife’s cookie sheets, or baking sheets, to hold the stem or stems. I put the oven rack in the centre of the oven and preheat the oven to 200 or 220 degrees, both temperatures work. Once the oven is heated I place the stem (with the inserted pipe cleaner to keep the airway open) on the cookie sheet and slide it into the oven. Have some oven mitts or hot pads near at hand when it is time to remove the cookie sheet from the oven. Watch the stems so you can tell when they are pliable. It takes very little time, 5 minutes or less usually. You can tell when they are pliable when you watch them (especially after having done this before) but you can check them regularly to see if they are ready. They should be rubbery and soft, easily bent.

Once the stem is pliable I remove it from the oven and hold it with the oven mitts, or if your hands are callused with your fingers (vulcanite is hot and you can be burned so be careful). I have the same small glass spice jar at hand, just as I did in the above method, to use to bend the stem. I hold the tenon end with one hand and the button with the other and then bend it carefully. Once the bend is correct I dip it in cold water or under running water in the sink to set the bend.

PLUS: The plusses of this method are also straightforward. It again requires no special tools to do the work. It allows you to bend multiple stems quickly. It also does not increase oxidation to the stems. This is a relatively new method to me but a fellow refurbisher here in Canada uses it all the time and swears by it. I have tried it and it does work well. There is no mess and no fuss. Cleaning up the stem is very simple afterward. All of the work in removing oxidation and polishing can be done ahead of time and then when complete a simple buff will give the stem a sheen.

MINUS: The minuses are relatively few. The first I ran into was my wife – she was not keen to have me “melt” rubber on her cookie sheets in her oven. I suggest you try this when “she who must be obeyed” is out of the kitchen unless you have your own sheets and oven! Care must be exercised to not leave the stems in too long or they will indeed be a mess – or at least it would seem so. I have not done this because I am overly cautious in keeping an eye on the stems.

Now I'm back to 'maybe I'll try this'.

Reactions: saintpeter

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This is a lot trickier than it appears, and nearly impossible to do correctly. George D has a post here how to do it right, which involves a good deal of equipment, definitely not for the average Joe. Rebending a stem is quite simple, but completely different than adjusting a tenon. I've tried it, but without much success. You can perhaps make it better, but rarely perfect. At least that is my experience.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Thanks Al.
I've decided to leave it. I like the pipe and I don't want to make it worse. For a $12 pipe, I can live with it. Now, if I ever have a more expensive pipe with a crooked tenon...I'll send it to a pro.

Reactions: fallsguy

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Scloyd, I think you should honestly leave it alone. I'd say that stem is just crooked enough to make the average person want to straighten it but without the right setup, it can cause bigger problems. Cost aside, it's a matter of how much you like the pipe. I've re-stemmed pipes I've bought for less than $10 and never thought twice about it. On the flip side of "it's not worth fixing" ask yourself what you have to lose if you attempt a repair. Id get it in some boiling water, insert a drill bit through the draft hole just shy of the tenon length and carefully work it in by eye. You'd be amazed what you can do yourself. You can clean up the oxidation with #0000 steel wool.

Reactions: scloyd

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Scloyd, I think you should honestly leave it alone. I'd say that stem is just crooked enough to make the average person want to straighten it but without the right setup, it can cause bigger problems. Cost aside, it's a matter of how much you like the pipe. I've re-stemmed pipes I've bought for less than $10 and never thought twice about it. On the flip side of "it's not worth fixing" ask yourself what you have to lose if you attempt a repair. Id get it in some boiling water, insert a drill bit through the draft hole just shy of the tenon length and carefully work it in by eye. You'd be amazed what you can do yourself. You can clean up the oxidation with #0000 steel wool.
Thanks for tip earthbound. I have the pipe all cleaned up and ready to smoke.7624
Does a person use steel wool dry? Or wet?

The only thing I've ever done with steel wool was put it in my bicycle spokes and light it on fire. At night it would glow.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
I tend to use my #0000 steel wool dry when working with soft materials, aluminum, and brass. I give it some oil if it's a steel wool on steel/ stainless steel application.

Reactions: scloyd
Status
Not open for further replies.