Crooked Tenon on Stem - How Can I Fix It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I have a pipe that when the stem (vulcanite) is in place it's not align with the stummel. It's crooked. The tenon on the stem looks crooked.
My idea was to dip it in hot water stick the tenon into the mortise and try to straighten it. Good idea? Bad Idea? Do you think that would work?
Any suggestions on how to straighten it?
Thanks

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My idea was to dip it in hot water stick the tenon into the mortise and try to straighten it.
If the water is hot enough to soften the vulcanite, you'll flash oxidize the stem. You could try inserting a drill bit that fits the airway and slowly warm the tenon with a heat gun. It may spring back to its original shape. Other than that, personally if I had never done any sort of stem or tenon repair, I would leave it be or send it to a pipe restorer.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Other than that, personally if I had never done any sort of stem or tenon repair, I would leave it be or send it to a pipe restorer.
It's a $12 estate pipe (Jeantet), nothing special. It's not worth the money to send it in for a repair. I purchased it as a practice clean up pipe. I think I'll try your heat gun suggestion. If that doesn't work I'll leave it be.
Thanks

If you see I post a "Guess The Pipe" pipe with a crooked stem...guess Jeantet. rotf

Reactions: Chasing Embers

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Did it sit perfectly in the pipe before you took it out?
It was shipped with the stem and stummel not assembled. I noticed the misalignment as soon as put the pipe together. The misalignment is very little so I'm not going to mess with it too much. It still a decent pipe for $12. I'll post before and after pics in the near future.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Picture, please! of the assembled bits.

I am wondering if heating it while assembled could work (A question/suggestion, not a recommendation.) Interesting topic!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Here's a pic. It's not horrible and I can live with it. I still want to try to straighten it.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thanks for the tip Paul.
You are welcome Sir, worth noticing that stem I snapped was already a cheap replacement one,as of now, despite the fact that this sucker (Peterson Grafton Canadian)may not deserve it, its on it way to a reputable repairman/pipemaker in England, The Northen Briars, wanna open new horizons' as they say,

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Heating the tenon and inserting it into the mortise will compress the tenon, resulting in a loose fitting stem.

As the stem is most likely a replacement anyway, and was cut cockeyed in the first place, the option would be to cut it back, or just cut new blank.

Provided you could do that work on your own, then it would make sense. Otherwise, I’d just smoke it...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, damn! This thought has not left me: If it were placed in an oven at the right temp for the right time, you could straighten it with no risk the tenon would swell or shrink. Or see that doing so caused a gap between the stem and stummel.

Unfortunately I don't know the right temp or time, but I bet someone does.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
Status
Not open for further replies.