PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
This one came in yesterday...
Just a light cleanup made a big difference...

250jqxc.jpg

2qssdcp.jpg

111v9tv.jpg

27yya28.jpg

123xf6w.jpg

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I’m making about 3 pipes a month. I’ve also been buying traditional pipes to adapt more modern shapes from...and i also just like to get the old crappy meers with gold bands and clean them up- gives me a nice break- I spent an hour on this one yesterday in between working on a new Morta and bamboo pipe... At the end of the day, I’ll have 24 new pipes in Chicago and maybe a dozen refurbed meers on the table...

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Especially on that button.
I was torn on that- there was enough material to cut a nice crisp button, but it didn’t seem that was the way it originally was..The challenge whether on bowl or stem is to remove enough material to get rid of the ugly without screwing up the patina.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
How are you taking the cake out of them
I scrape the bulk of it with a knife blade. When it’s thinner. I use a rounded dowel with 320 grit paper to work it down to a very thin coat.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Great looking pipe, Zack! Good job on that stem.
I was torn on that- there was enough material to cut a nice crisp button, but it didn’t seem that was the way it originally was..The challenge whether on bowl or stem is to remove enough material to get rid of the ugly without screwing up the patina.

It can be a hell of a fine line to walk sometimes. When the originality is in question, I generally to go with whatever is going to make for the most pleasant smoking experience.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Zack, why the saving/refurb instead of making? Not criticizing just wondering.
Because he's discovered that working within constraints is more technically challenging than making new pipes, of course, and therefore more satisfying when you pull it off.
The next step? Undetectable stem replacement.
Zack doesn't need the money, you see... he wants something that pushes back.
(No e-hate, please... This is what's known in the Internet world as a shitpost. Digital towel-snapping. I'm only being semi-serious.) :mrgreen:

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
. he wants something that pushes back.
George, You know I have something that pushes back- you've met Greta,,,,:) On the other, you're correct- I originally bought the pipes to learn from the shapes...and couldn't stand having ugly pipes sitting in my case...
I generally to go with whatever is going to make for the most pleasant smoking experience.

Yep...I agree..but I still have to resist cutting a proper slot and funnel on these old stems....
...and on the age- I'm guessing maybe 1913-1915 based on the timeline for the company and the appearance of the Redmanol stem material in 1913..(I'm 90% sure that it's Redmanol, not amber- someone let me know if I'm wrong).
35idfzk.jpg

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Nice job on the clean up. Looks great!

I've wanted to buy some old antique meerschaum pipes, but I'm always afraid they won't clean up well. Then I'll be suck with an old nasty pipe. :(

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I'm always afraid they won't clean up well. Then I'll be suck with an old nasty pipe.
Keep in mind- "It's not old and nasty- it's an rare and wonderful antique"...I tell you the biggest problem is the threaded stems- only one out of 4 I bought clocks into the correct alignment and I either had to recut a thread in Delrin or readjust where it locked. Without tools, you would need to send it out to be fixed....

Status
Not open for further replies.