PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I've seen the Balleby panel and it is sumptuous! However when I look at the obscene price, I immediately lose interest. Though the reality is that I'm no judge of price, my gut revolts.
One perspective is that the price is high - but what is Balleby's take after retailer markup? Even if he nets $2K (which is high, I suspect), I understand that panel pipes like this are some of the hardest to craft. How many hours would he put into making and finishing a pipe like that? 20 hours? more? How many blocks were binned before he found one that worked? You are well paid, but you ain't getting rich on $50-$100 an hour, even if you could manage to make that on a regular basis.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
When my pipe cruising was at its height, I probably looked at 500-1000 pipes for every one I bought. In so doing I bypassed sold pipes, as an important part of the fun was feeling that I could buy it. Thus when I saw the Balleby panel and was struck by its beauty it was strong enough to bring mr back several times. But then I soured on the price, which acquisition would be nothing more than a prodigious fantasy. I'm sure Balleby spent two and three times the amount of work on it compare to other pieces, and it is very beautiful. And I am no judge of its price.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Right now I'm keeping an eye out for a few styles of pipes I don't have in my collection but want rather than looking for high-end pipes. Fortunately this is helping me keep my PAD in check.
That being said, and this is not a pipe but rather a pipe rack, I think this is a thing of beauty:
001-069-0544_1.3471.jpg

I wouldn't send that kind of money on a rack. I'd really have to be in love with a pipe to spend that kind of money on one. Also, my funds are on the low side right now since I just bought a flamethower. :mrgreen:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Flamethrower as propelled flame used to set all manner of low folk aflame? Really? Yikes!

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
It was on sale and I'm irresponsible with my money...
On the other hand, I might be able to set some sort of speed record for lighting an entire tin of cake.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've only recently become acquainted with Gustavo Cunha and Martelo pipes. I love his shaping and blasting. They seem priced reasonably as well, but sell out rather quickly.

https://www.pipehub.com/bent-blasted-billiard-blast/products/view/216
IMG_0171.JPG

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
This Baki basketweave with silver rim:
http://bestmeerschaums.homestead.com/BASKETWEAVE10.html

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Not really a covet per se but if I was interested in purchasing a pipe right this moment it would be this Vauen Fuji:
002-457-3713.5116.jpg

dante

Lurker
Nov 26, 2018
Castello Sea Rock.I will never own one of these and it keeps me awake at night...

LOaciL5.png

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OH, my, that Penny Farthing is a delight! Beautifully made, unique to say the least. It's both a work of art and an interesting smoker.

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
That Castello is a beauty. Currently there are a lot of Pipes I seriously would want to add to the collection and I am working on it, but if I had to choose one it would propably be this one:
s-l500.jpg

A beautiful Ashton Sovereign though even as an Estate definitly out of my price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.