Could I Have Prevented Mold from Forming?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
I recently bought several tins of Virginia and Vaper flake tobaccos, one of which was C&D Manhattan Afternoon.
About a full month after initially opening the tin (which then seemed to be perfectly fine), I discovered gray mold throughout one side of the tin contents.
The tin was about three-quarters full, and it had been about 10 days since I last had a bowl of it.
The tin was kept on a shelf in my living room, along with other open tins.
This is the first time I've experienced mold. Did I do something to cause it? Is it just something that happens occasionally, no matter what? What can I do to prevent it?
My other open tins (e.g., Fire Dance Flake, Honeydew, Sam's Flake, Dunhill Flake, etc.) -- purchased at the same time as Manhattan Afternoon -- do not seem to have been affected (yet).
Thanks

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
Do you wash your hands after taking a crap? Perhaps some brown bogie accidentally tainted your tin?

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Talk to C&D, they will replace it. Mold should not grow in their tobacco
Thanks, but I've already disposed of the tin's contents. It seemed fine upon opening, so I figured since the mold occurred "on my watch," there was nothing to do except try to prevent it from happening again.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
C&D (like most other tobacco manufacturers) treats their products with a food-grade fungi suppressant. Same stuff used bakeries. Seems they had some sort of slip up and let a lot of tins go with insufficient treatment. They are replacing those tins without question. I'd still call them and talk with them, if I were you.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yep, had a C&D mold issue last year, and they fixed the problem with no questions asked.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo fo
What's the date code on that MA? Last year, June-July or so, C&D tried out a different anti-fungal treatment. It didn't work so well on some blends - probably a function of the chemistry, pH, etc. of certain leafs.
hp

les

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Did I do something to cause it? Is it just something that happens occasionally, no matter what? What can I do to prevent it?
No victim blaming!
C&D tried to reduce the amount of non-tobacco additives, and it backfired in the case of their Virginias.
Send a note, and they'll make it right.
Then wash your hands and eat no mushrooms, and your tobacco is safe.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
C&D (like most other tobacco manufacturers) treats their products with a food-grade fungi suppressant. Same stuff used bakeries. Seems they had some sort of slip up and let a lot of tins go with insufficient treatment. They are replacing those tins without question. I'd still call them and talk with them, if I were you.
Yep, had a C&D mold issue last year, and they fixed the problem with no questions asked
Last year, June-July or so, C&D tried out a different anti-fungal treatment. It didn't work so well on some blends - probably a function of the chemistry, pH, etc. of certain leafs.
C&D tried to reduce the amount of non-tobacco additives, and it backfired in the case of their Virginias.
OK, thanks everyone. I appreciate the information and advice and I'm glad to learn about the mold issue. I had heard about mold in some sealed tins, but did not know that mold could "bloom" after opening a seemingly unaffected tin. Live, smoke a pipe, and learn.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Send a note, and...[C&D will]...make it right.
Actually, I didn't have to reach out to C&D -- C&D reached out to me. A gentleman from C&D (Adam) sent a DM to me and now a replacement tin of Manhattan Afternoon is on the way. Pretty nice, I'd say.
I forgot to mention in all this that Manhattan Afternoon is a blend that I liked very much, so I'm looking forward to continuing the enjoyment.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I have had the dreaded mold issue; however, as stated here, C&D went above and beyond to fix the issue with absolutely no hassle. You have to admire a company who solves their issues quickly.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I found my first moldy tobacco tonight. A jarred up plug of Temple Bar was growing some fuzz. I opened the jar, took a sniff and knew that it had turned. I'm a little sad, but feel like I've crossed a piping milestone. Not my most favourite milestone, but at least it didn't get my 2015. I'd be real sad then.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
It's not you, it's me.
tumblr_oiivmrSntz1sno1suo2_400.gif

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I Wash my hands and dry them. Then I take a bit of rubbing alcohol and rub my hands together and let them air dry before I dig into a jar of tobacco. I know that alcohol kills mold. So my logic is it will kill any spores that may be on my hands. As far as spores in the air, I can't help that. This may or may not be a great idea. It just has become a practice that I use. Mold that was already on the tobacco from the manufacturer is the manufacturers problem. Smoking pipes.com has always delivered when mold has cropped up in a fresh tin.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
This outfit suggests using alcohol to clean mold off of furniture:
http://eden.lsu.edu/topics/humanhealth/mold/Pages/default.aspx
No idea how that analogizes to tobacco, unless your cube cuts are big enough to sit on.

Status
Not open for further replies.