PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bostoneo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2016
Akron, OH
Howdy fellows, newbie piper John here. I have acquired a serious disease of TAD and PAD since March 2016, which has led me to collecting over 130lbs of baccy and over 40 pipes. It started off kind of rough since I didn't have much in the way of mentoring, even watching youtube tutorials etc... but I think I have finally learned how to properly pack, light, and smoke a bowl of pipe tobacco.
Since I started smoking pipes, I find I typically get a cotton mouth, or rough bumpy tongue in the morning that can feel a little sore. I think I may be steaming my tongue/mouth but possibly smoking to quickly (I am a cigar smoker as well and am known to typically burn sticks in 1hr no problem). If I smoke just one bowl in a day I typically don't get this issue.
Not sure if it could be a certain tobacco type, but I've been smoking CD chenets cake, Royal Yacht, Gaslight, Esoterica Brighton, and English blends lately.
TAD after 8months 8O
8e64f6ca8a438795bb82871d12d2e556.jpg

Reactions: yanoJL

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Sometimes I get a little greedy with my smoking. Too many bowls, or smoking too fast, will roach my tongue somewhat like you describe. As far as dry mouth, burley seems to affect me more than any other type.

Reactions: yanoJL

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
+1 on the Burley. But for the other non-Burley blends (the majority of what you are now smoking) there are some other possible causes.
1. Smoking tobacco that is too moist. Tobacco should be dry to the touch, but not so dry that it breaks when crumbled.

2. Drawing too hard. Drawing hard raises the temperature of the burn and can singe your mouth. Remember that temps over 140º scald flesh.
High burn temps combined with tobacco that is too wet is especially bad. Lower burn temps will also give you richer, more complex flavors. As a cigar smoker, you are probably looking for that big mouthful of smoke, but that isn't going to happen in the same way with a pipe. Light with a low temp flame, slow down, sip.
You might also want to try using a moisturizing mouthwash like Biotene after smoking.
EDIT: If all else fails, and you are still having problems, please let me know and I'll send you a FedX prepaid label for those crates (same kind I use, so they'll feel safe and at home in my cellar).
HTH

Virginias have more acidity that causes folks to get a little sore from puffing too fast, and moisture in the tobacco doesn't help it either. This is why I like mine very dry and smoked very slow, sipped, smoked on the smoldering verge of going out. But, when you smoke all day long like I do, you're just going to get a case of cat tongue. It's inevitable. But, my wife doesn't complain. :puffy:

Reactions: TheWhale13

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Holy Cow!! You've gone big time very quickly! Nice collection!
As I just wrote following a post of yours in another thread, drying your tobacco down considerably should give you more favorable results.
Edit: Hadn't seen woodsroad's, aldecaker's nor cosmic's posts when I wrote the above..... Woodsroad is very helpful in offering to acquire your stash. I'll help, too. In addition to a prepaid shipping label, I'll throw in a couple hundred bucks.....
Also John, also a lover of pipes and large stashes of tobacco, though mine pales in comparison to many.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
John is a great guy, very helpful, fun to be around, but he taints his kindness with the offer of money. Oh, money! What has THAT ever done for anyone?

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I have acquired a serious disease of TAD and PAD since March 2016, which has led me to collecting over 130lbs of baccy and over 40 pipes.
..amateur :rofl:
Like others have said, may be the Burley and/or baccy that is to moist

bostoneo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2016
Akron, OH
I noticed I typically don't have the issue with Gaslight, heavy latikia blend. I've had the issue with Vincent manil semois, even though the stuff is dry as a bone, which leads me to believe I am smoking to quickly. I've learned not to overpack the pipe as well, a lesson that took a long time to learn!

bostoneo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2016
Akron, OH
I've only smoked a few bowls of the various McClelland bulk burleys I have. Can't remember if I've had issues with it.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I've been piping since early 2014, but it's just recently that I've figured out which blends to stock up on.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
John is a great guy, very helpful, fun to be around, but he taints his kindness with the offer of money. Oh, money! What has THAT ever done for anyone?
Blush/
But you're right, Dan, money is soooo sordid, so I rescind that part of the offer and will include undying gratitude, love and recognition until I've smoke through that stash. I'll agree with every post he makes, and like on FB or other media I may be on from time to time.
Boston- Live there?
And a warm welcome to the forum!

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
I think you've got enough info from better-educated smokers, but I still wanted to compliment you on the collection. That's a hell of a cellar!
I recommend jarring those boxes from SG, just in case they try to dry out.

bostoneo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2016
Akron, OH
Thank you for the compliment :) I kind of grabbed one of each of so much stuff, especially when mars had their huge sale a couple months ago.
Not sure about jarring those SG boxes, there is so many!!! The containers they reside in are airlocked with a gasket. Maybe I should just throw a few boveda packs inside instead?

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Welcome.
+1 @hmhaines: jar those SG boxes, or seal them in mylar bags where they will age properly without drying out.
At your current rate of TAD you will equal Peck's cache of ~700 pounds in about 36 months (@16.26 lbs/mo). Impressive.
Is the bottom bin filled with Esoterica blends? If so, it dwarfs my meager collection. Well done.

bostoneo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2016
Akron, OH
Thank you for the welcome!
Might you have a link on forum for mylar bag prep/equipment? I may have to make that purchase.
The bottom bin is indeed filled with 80ish 8oz bags of esoterica. The only blend I cannot find for the life of me is Cardiff.
6f08ce1dc4ec466c3a631031652048ce.jpg

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Good grief.
Let's do some arithmetic:
November minus March is 7 months.
130lbs per 7 months is 18 lb of tobacco a month.
7 months times an average 30 days per month is 210 days divided by 130 pounds is more than HALF A POUND of tobacco every day.
7 months times and average 30 days per month is 210 days divided by 40 pipes is a new piper every five-and-a-quarter days.
You've got it bad, son.

bostoneo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2016
Akron, OH
Thats just in unopened cellared tobacco... I have 2x 16qt containers packed with opened baccy/bulk and probably 40 jars with baccy in them to heh

Status
Not open for further replies.