PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I know this may be a stupid question and I hope I don't sound to ignorant asking it but does anyone know the correct pronunciation of the French brand pipe ROPP? Is it pronounced Ropp ( rhyming with HOP) or is it pronounced Ropp (rhyming with rope). What is sad is I own several and have never heard how to pronounce the name. Thank you in advance and sorry for my crude way of trying to get my point across on the pronunciation.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
I remeber i heared it from tobacconist's guy rhyming with HOP
Also I have the same ignorant question of "Meerscahum", I don't know the correct procunciation.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Meerschaum.
Meer'•shum
Meer rhymes with ear, like meerkat.
shum rhymes with thumb, but shorten the u, so it's more like shm.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
Meerschaum.
Meer'•shum
Meer rhymes with ear, like meerkat.
shum rhymes with thumb, but shorten the u, so it's more like shm.
Eh,not quite. Thats just how most pronounce it because they don't know any better.
Meer is pronounced like you would the word for a female horse "mare"
'schaum is not actually pronounced "shum."
The "scha" sounds like "shower" but without the "er" and an "m" at the end.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I pronounced meerschaum as most Americans pronounce it, but juvat's right, it's a German word and he pronounced it correctly.
So is it mam•doo, or mam•dow?

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
@simnettpratt... mam-doo.
BTW it is arabic name that means

Hany = pleased

Mamdouh = being praised

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
Both juvay and simnettpratt are partially right. It is a word of German origin and the 'meer' should rhyme with 'ear', the combinatory vowels in 'schaum' sound like the first vowel in 'shower' or perhaps better, as in 'plow' (like what farmers do on a field). It means 'seafoam' in German. And 'Ropp' does indeed rhyme with 'hop'.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
Newsflash from CNN concerning pronunciation

---------------------------------------------

Reporting on the Syrian town of Latakia, they pronounced it:
la-TOK-ya................(emphasis on second sylable).........who knew?

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
I've always heard the tobacco referred to with that pronunciation. How the Syrians pronounce it, I wouldn't know.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Great. Three different ways to pronounce meerschaum. Pick the one you like, Mamdouh, we'll still get along :)

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
As per my 9yr old:meerschaum=white pipe, briar=wood pipe, corn cob=frosty pipe...pretty simple that way.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
Dukdalf...I am arabian, we pronounce latakia smae as you write it la ta kya...it is name of an old city in Syria called in arbic : lathekya

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
"Dukdalf...I am arabian, we pronounce latakia smae as you write it la ta kya...it is name of an old city in Syria called in arbic : lathekya"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently CNN did not do their homework. I bow to the man who knows. So it is more like 4 sylables with emphasis on none? ( la-ta-key-a )

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
The place in Syria is "la TAH kya". The tobacco is known (perhaps idiomatically) as "lat a KEE a".

Status
Not open for further replies.