PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
I took a chance during the Cornell & Diehl sale at P&C and purchased 5 lbs of Star of the East. Snagged a good price with the amount purchased. I was a bit worried until I received it today. I've had 3 bowls and the tobacco is fantastic. Sweet, tangy and smokey.
I'm a bit surprised how dry it came in bulk form. It was so dry that I hardly believed each bag could be 1 pound but I weighed it and sure enough it was a bit over 1 pound in each bag.
I've read that some say it's like Penzance. I don't believe that is true. I think it's better.
A great way to finish my cellar too. I'll never need to purchase another ounce of tobacco for the rest of my life.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah it's a great blend, I'm surprised you ordered 5 lb's without trying it. I don't like when tobacco is too dry though, I don't mind paying for a bit of water at the cost of it keeping the tobacco from turning into a bunch of dust at the bottom of a bag.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I love the stuff. Smokes great right out of the jar and like you say hakchuma, it is both sweet, tangy and smoky all at once. Great mix with other things as well.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Haven't tried the bulk but I love the flake. I don't think it tastes like Penzance either. Somebody, somewhere put together that they were both flakes and they both had Latakia in them so of course they must taste the same!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
A great way to finish my cellar too. I'll never need to purchase another ounce of tobacco for the rest of my life.
Never say/write such words. One can never have to much tobacco, and one's cellar is never finished. :puffy:
I too am a fan of Star of the East, but I don't see it as a substitute for Penzance.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
How do you compare the ribbon cut with the flake? Only have had the ribbon cut version and liked it a lot. Curious about the flake.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
SOTE is my substitute for Peretti's Oriental #40 (which I think is much smoother and more elegant). Since #40 is over double the price of SOTE (and rarely on sale), I have to save it for an occasional treat and reach for Star of the East all other times I crave this type of blend.

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
I prefer the flake over the ribbon cut. Though both are fine, the various tobacco flavours seem more distinct and harmonious. I've read it is because of the different process...but whatever it is, try the flake version if you enjoyed the ribbon cut.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I love the stuff. Like Penzance? No. More like GLP Westminster. I've got a tin of the flake, need to try it to compare against the ribbon. I have a feeling the SOE will age quite nice for you also.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
If you like Star you might also try Sutliff's Voodoo Queen, sort of like being its lesser cousin. Not the same tang or smokiness, more subdued, but pretty nice, and good for pulling down a blend that you find too heavy in the Lats. One of the better blends I've found from Sutliff.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Just wanted to add that tonight I smoked a bowl of Star while watching the AFC Divisional playoffs, had a good cup of Ethiopian coffee then followed it up with some Voodoo Queen in another pipe for the Second Half. Really close these two blends. Both good smokes.

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I've enjoyed Star of the East for several years. It ages well, and I have several pounds jarred up and tucked away. I opened a 4 year old jar a few weeks ago, and found it had aged very well and the flavor became smoother.

Status
Not open for further replies.