PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I just wanted to take a moment to talk about my favorite bulk English blend. Cornell and Diehl Super Balkan is an amazing tobacco. I find it incredibly rich and somewhat complex. I can't believe the quality for the price. To give an idea of my pallette, my top 5 tinned English blends are as follows in no particular order
Quiet Nights
Star of the East Flake
Plum Pudding
Mississippi River
Bob's Chocolate Flake.

If anyone is looking for a solid, reliable, all day English blend available in bulk, you may find a new favorite with Super Balkan.

Reactions: logs

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have any C&D Super Balkan on hand, but I've enjoyed it in the past, found it a balanced and robust blend that seemed more complex over time. I think I'm spoiled by the unending variety of blends. Other good ones I really like that I don't have at the moment include C&D Stratfordshire and C&D Nigh Bayou ... and many others.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
I don't have any C&D Super Balkan on hand, but I've enjoyed it in the past, found it a balanced and robust blend that seemed more complex over time. I think I'm spoiled by the unending variety of blends. Other good ones I really like that I don't have at the moment include C&D Stratfordshire and C&D Nigh Bayou ... and many others.
I've been thinking of getting some Bayou Night since I've heard it was a good blend, how does it smoke?

Reactions: solideogloria86
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I personally didn't like bayou night at first because it was very burley forward to me. The thing about burley that bothers me isn't in the flavor but the dry mouth feel like a dry wine. I've pressed what I have left into a cake and found that it did help to harmonize the components. I plan to revisit soon. Maybe tonight?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm partial to burley and tolerant of its flavors. I will say, the first version I had of Bayou Night was from the original blender in Morganton, N.C., and though I liked the burley, it did have an edge for me. When I ordered it later when C&D had moved to SP in S.C., I found it much smoother but still full flavored. Burley isn't for everyone, and every burley won't appeal to everyone. I quip, some can't taste it; some detest it; and some like it only very selectively; and others like most all of it. I tend toward the last category, but some is a little too harsh even for me.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I really enjoy it it certain applications. I like Carter Hall. I really like the nuttiness it adds to SPC's Potlatch. I just don't like the dry mouth feel when it's too prominent. Solani aged burley Flake inst terrible either I just find it pretty one dimensional.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Never heard of it. Thanks for sharing. I will have to give it a try. Quiet Nights has quickly become my favorite English, so we might have similar tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.