PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Confusing

Straight Up English is exactly what it sounds like: an English blend done the traditional way. No topping. No added flavors. Just red and bright Virginias and a healthy dose of Latakia. Straight Up.
But then on the blend components burly is checked off.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
"For now, we're kicking off the project with a blend Jeremy cooked up called Straight Up English. It's a red and bright Virginia based blend with a small percentage (around 17%) of Latakia, and just a touch of white Burley."
Yea, bit confusing...

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I've really enjoyed everything I've gotten from C&D, I think I'll give this one a whirl too.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Why does the marketing world think that if something is made by a hipster it is somehow more authentic or crafted?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I'll tell, I think back to when the Craig and Patty took over this blending house to what it has become and I can't believe the progression has been so dramatic.Sure has grown into something big.
Mike S.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
If it is truly small batch then the number of tins produced should be shown on the label.

dadgy

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2015
Why does the marketing world think that if something is made by a hipster it is somehow more authentic or crafted?
Well that "hipster" is Jeremy Reeves, and he's the head blender at C&D. They make their blends by hand, and I'm not sure how something could be more authentic or crafted than that.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I have never heard of Jeremy Reeves. I was simply commenting on the authentic and crafted look of him. What does he impart to these blends that make them more authentic and crafted than C&D's other offerings, or is it just marketing?

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
I wonder when and where it will show up for sale? 400 tins spread out among all the internet stores and brick and mortars can't allow many tins at any spot.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
I enjoy C&D blends a lot and probably will try it, but I hope it doesn't turn out the way the cigar world has over the last few years. It seems most new cigar releases are now limited or regional editions that you have to chase down to get. I understand they want to create a buzz and demand, but it can be frustrating as a consumer to obtain.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It's a marketing signal for authentic, non-corporate, ethical, etc.
You might enjoy David Brooks' "Bobos in Paradise" for a very convincing exploration of this phenomenon...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Part of what makes it authentic and crafted was described in a pipesmagazine interview with Jeremy about six months ago in which it was pointed out that the small scale on which even their standard blends are produced requires that a lot of the work of preparing the tobacco and blending it has to be done by hand, along with a few machines. So the whole crew has to actually handle the leaf in the blending process. Hand crafted means that, by hand. Jeremy has an interesting bio and is totally devoted to C&D and its products. I think their line of blends speaks for itself.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
non-corporate
What's wrong with corporate? C&D Merger comes to mind. Obviously, C&D has aspirations to become bigger, otherwise Tarlar wouldn't ever be able to retire. Small batch, yep it's a ploy, but you know the tobacco's going to be great, it's C&D. Haven't had a bad tin yet. I'm trying to find one.
David Brooks...Hee Hee ;)

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Sounds more like an "American" style English mixture, what with the addition of Burley and no Oriental/Turkish.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
What's wrong with corporate?
Personally, I think the corporate/non-corporate division is mostly nonsense, with one exception: "corporate" means big bloated non-responsive formerly excellent companies like Microsoft.
Think of it this way: if you wanted to buy heavy metal, and you went into a heavy metal shop and the guy behind the counter was clean-cut with glasses wearing a Polo shirt, you might feel offput... and it is this way with artisanal (last two syllables get the emphasis) products. You want it to look like the desired effect, in the same way you want your lawyer or insurance salesman in a suit with mild personal habits...

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I'm a big fan of C&D, and if I run across this blend I'll buy a tin or two. But if it sells out from underneath me and I miss the chance I wont be all broke up about it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.