PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
so fairly new to the hobby. have a few pipes, nothing expensive but decent and enjoy smoking them. Figured i see such high praise of the corncobs that i would pick one up. I got a MM rob roy and it arrived last week. gave it a spin this weekend and was honestly a bit disappointed. felt like it was drawing in way too much air. its a little difficult to explain but on my other pipes when i inhale theres a sliiiight resistance, like they say sucking in through a straw, but w the corncob it was wide open w no resistance at all. is this standard? feel like this pipes not going to be making the rotation

Jun 23, 2019
Generally I get zero resistance when I'm puffing/sipping/whatever-you'd-like-to-call-it-ing my pipes, so I'd say your MM a-okay. Not sure about the other pipes though...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a number of cobs, some of them a decade or more old. They have a good open draw but not over vented. A few mundane suggestions: Pack a little tighter; you want it to draw, but not too airy. Tamp regularly, even before you light up, to get an even ember going, and to keep it burning evenly, and then tamp before relights, gently. You don't want the tobacco jammed in there, but the unburnt leaf has to remain together to fully burn. Others may have more advance advice, but for starters, that may help.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
If you dislike the openness of the factory stem, you can swap it out with a Forever Stem from Walker BriarWorks. They have a standard sized draft hole which will provide similar resistance compared to what you may be used to with a briar pipe.
Great tip, I didn’t know about this option. I personally don’t have an issue with the draft but I have several cobs I’ve had for 20 years and the “softness” of the factory’ stems is a distraction.

Reactions: Marindas

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes that's normal. Most people like corncobs just for that reason of the open draw. The pipes I have with a more tight draw tend to accumulate moisture faster.

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
thanks for the responses everyone. helps to see the terms i have in my head but couldnt articulate well like "open draw" or "over vented" used properly.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
If you dislike the openness of the factory stem, you can swap it out with a Forever Stem from Walker BriarWorks. They have a standard sized draft hole which will provide similar resistance compared to what you may be used to with a briar pipe.

I tried out a bent forever stem on my country gentleman but it felt too thick. That makes sense why they are called forever stems! I have to check back and see if they make a thinner one. I guess I can file it down but I would have to do a little more research on how to do it correctly.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't like the M.M. draw much either. Though I love the draw on Old Dominion cobs. They use a bamboo reed for the stem and the thing is less likely to break then the stems that come with M.M. cobs. Maybe look into that brand has all the benefits you've heard of with cobs but with a tighter draw.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The forever stems that I have, build moisture so fast, that I have to pull the stem out usually 2 or 3 times per smoke and blow the moisture out. Of course ymmv.

Patrick_Green

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2019
Texas
I am also new to the hobby, but like many here Id say pack a little tighter. I've been mostly smoking my briar since obtaining it. But do experiment with packing, I've tried many different methods. So far the best advice I've found was forget everything Ive learned, and just pack the sucker. You dont want it too tight, or too loose... Get a little spring in your load and light her up!

Status
Not open for further replies.