PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

masked1

Might Stick Around
Jan 2, 2012
Looking to buy my briar tomorrow, and picking up a corn cob for when its resting. IS there anything I should look for or will the one at the party store for 5.99 suffice?
Thanks!

-Cody Maske

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
I don't know what specifically makes them better as that's all I've ever owned, but I can attest to their greatness. That's also a pretty universally accepted fact 'round these parts.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
What makes them better is that most of the other ones available are cheap Chinese made junk!!!

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
What makes MM better
I've had 2 cobs that were other than MM. Don't recall the brand name they were sold under, not surprising as neither lasted any time at all. Both of em' burned through, one rather spectacularly with sparks smoke and flame, after just a few bowls. The cob these were made of was very light and, well, flimsy. Soft.
The cob in my MM's is dense and solid. I've 1 MM Diplomat that has easily had over two hundred bowls smoked in it and it is perfectly serviceable.

masked1

Might Stick Around
Jan 2, 2012
Im looking at this one http://pipesandcigars.com/micocobpo.html and there is no problem cruising the forums!

Jul 15, 2011
What makes MM better?
This may be a bit of a soapbox thing for me, but Missouri Meerschaum pipes are one of the last products on this earth that are 100% Made In America. They are of high quality and the corn that farmers grow are used specifically to be turned into pipes, and the cob is completely food grade and the corn shucked off of it is used to make tortillas, so it is an eco-friendly product. They are also better built than the chinese knock offs, have more solid construction, and I'm sure last a lot longer, not to mention that they offer a very solid smoke at a rock bottom price. I own four Missouri Meerschaums myself and can't get enough.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Nothing wrong with the Pony. However, it does have a smaller bowl. I bought one to dedicate to my 1792 Flake for that very reason and smoked it for the first time today, good pipe! I own five MM cobs and one of each model of their hardwood pipes. They all smoke just fine.

dimm

Might Stick Around
Jan 7, 2012
Montréal, Canada
Yeah if it's not a MM it's a chinese piece of crap. It' pretty black and white when it comes to corn cobs. Unless you're dealing with some older cobs or something. Just get a MM... Corncobs are amazing. A lot of people buy them just cause it's a cheap way to get another pipe in the rotation but realize after what they've been missing out on. My MM Diplomat is the best smoker in my rotation hands down. Always cool always tasty, from the beginning to the last drop no matter what tobacco I'm smoking.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
From your picture it looks like you have a MacArthur. In fact, your picture looks very much like...oh, hold on, I see what's going on now.

theray

Lurker
Dec 7, 2011
Same here. The flavors of whatever tobacco I am smoking always shine through better in my cob. They are amazing, just make sure to take your time and smoke slow. And as mentioned earlier marscigars usually has the best prices on cobs...and some briars (depending on what youre looking for.

theray

Lurker
Dec 7, 2011
By the way, the pipe you mentioned is 2.95 at Mars. So you can buy 2 although I would recommend a bigger cob.

Status
Not open for further replies.