PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I am looking at a Meerschaum pipe from "meerschaumpipes" E-Bay store. I asked if the pipe in question had a screw-in stem or a push-in stem this was the reply.

"Hi,
this pipe has push in stem which screws already placed and screwed both within mortise and tenon. Here I attached you a sample picture, which 95% of the meerschaum pipes has a push in stem as in this picture.
Thanks.
Nicky"

Well, that clears it up! Arg! The photo he sent can't be enlarged enough for me to see if there are threads on the tenon. I'll just assume it has a screw-in stem and take a pass, unless someone here can clear this up.

SIan23e.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
There's a language barrier. It's a push tenon. The screwed pieces are already in place. All you do is twist and pull or twist and push. It is NOT a screw tenon like an old meerschaum pipe.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I get the language barrier. I figured more questions would just lead to more frustration. So I figured I would throw it up to you gents! Thanks for clarifying Ash. So the mortise screws in to the stummel and the tenon screws in to the stem, but they push in to each other, right? But these are different than the ones I've seen with derlin tenons?

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Thank you, Sir! That clears it up completely! A picture is worth...

Do the delrin tenons work the same way?

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Hi, I believe that those are Delrin. Please correct me if I am mistaken, but I think plastic tenons and Delrin tenons for modern style meerschaum pipes are the same thing. My understanding is that is has evolved from early bone tenon screws where the stem screws on to the shank, to the contemporary plastic/Delrin push-pull tenons that screw in to the shank and stem but once in place function as a push on connection between stem and shank, to some makes such as IMP with a briar style stem shank connection. The IMP, et al, style is going to have a more open draw than the Derin or plastic push-pull system pictured.

Aug 14, 2012
For a push in stem get a Peterson meer. They have the best plumbing, but possibly not the best meerschaum.

Status
Not open for further replies.