PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I thought I had found my tobacco nirvana in Condor Ready Rubbed but that was until I tried Condor Long Cut a couple of months ago. LC is very similar to RR but with brass knobs on, more flavour & more taste.
Upon opening the plastic wallet I spied about 24 dark brown neatly cut flakes with a gorgeous leathery/floral scent. Some have bemoaned both RR & LC as having a 'soapy' aroma & taste, I have never detected either, just a quality, well flavoured tobacco.
I am now on my umpteenth packet and as I write this am sipping away and thoroughly enjoying the experience. Not knowing the correct procedure to roll & pack flake tobaccos I always rub them out on a tray and leave them to air for an hour or so afore jarring. I have read on here & elsewhere that a very different smoking experience is to be had when one folds & loads so best I do a web search to learn the correct technique.
One thing I notice about this blend (applies to RR too) is that the initial flavours experienced at light up are still evident throughout the entire smoke whereas most so called aromatics alter very much come mid bowl. Also, LC is a shade darker than RR which knocks on the head the myth that they are one and the same blend.
Another thing I noticed is that it is best smoked in a large bowl to get the most from what is on offer. In a Peterson 307 I can enjoy this for well over an hour with gentle sipping & only the occasional relight.
Some say this is not for beginners, well I have only been piping for 12 months and I love the stuff, I so wish I had tried it earlier. It has overtaken RR as my number 1 blend and will certainly be my baccy of choice. Thankfully it is available pretty much anywhere. Will I still buy RR? Yes I think so, but only because I think it's healthy to have the occasional break. Imagine eating lobster thermidor everyday and drinking Shepherd Neame India Pale Ale everyday, one would soon become bored.
Though regarded by some as an 'aromatic' I personally regard an aromatic blend to be one heavily flavoured with cherries, apricots, chocolate or other additives that pretty much overwhelm the overall flavour of the blend. Condor LC is no such blend in my eyes. Yes there is an added flavour in the mix but no way does it take over the overall taste of the smoke.
Also some folks tend to look down on OTC tobaccos as though they were in some way inferior which is a shame really as they are missing out on blends that if they actually tried might well enjoy as much as I enjoy this one.
This is a gorgeously full flavoured baccy that I would heartily recommend everyone tries at least once. A five star blend in my book.
Regards,
Jay.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
It's so well regarded that I really must try it. Anytime I place a tobacco order, I have this thing about paying for postage, so if I order Condor it'll be a five pack and I'm not yet confident I'll enjoy it as much as everyone else. Seems strange such a well regarded OTC blend isn't available in the states. Anyways, great review! My curiosity is peaked.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Apologies Nate. When I stated it was available pretty much anywhere I was referring to the UK. That said I am aware of many Americans who have enjoyed this blend so assume it must be available in the States.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
BTW Nate, your curiosity was piqued (aroused) and not 'peaked'(reached the highest level), a huge difference in meaning :puffy:
You might want to try the ready rubbed version first, pretty much the same flavour profile though a little less robust.
Regards,
Jay.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
It's not available commercially in the states. One can order from GQ or James Fox or such, but the only other way is or was on ebay like through Pipestud. I love the RR. I have gotten the longcut through Pipestud but have not tried it yet. I'm hoping the Warrior Green will be somewhat like Condor, close enough to have a less expensive source available. Thanks for the writeup Jay

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I just got some Condor plugs (5) from James Fox along with some other plugs. Ordered it on Monday and received it yesterday. Shipping for 350 grams of product was about $22.00. It is what it is if you want something bad enough. I just wonder how much longer we can get things shipped from across the pond.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Blimey Papipeguy that is horrendous p+p and I thought it was bad here in the UK!
Plug tobacco is something I have yet to trial though I would like my first plug to be Condor.
Regards,
Jay.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Nate, you can always make a trade! I've been trading my Penzance from 2011 for Condor RR from a fella on these forums, I would be more than happy to work something out for your Condor as well. I can't get enough of that stuff!
Great review Mawnansmiff!

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015

It's a fine otc baccy, superior to atleast 50% of the tinned stuff by the big names imo. The flake is much more fruity and mature but the rr is also nice in its own right.
Mawnansmiff, give Mellow virginia a try, it's a good sweet va otc blend that surprised me with its yumminess!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Those pictures are beautiful and make my mouth water by the way. I love, love, love the stuff. Just recently got 3 packs of the RR and it's perdy damn close to the Long Cut but I would chose Long Cut every time if I'm given the option.
Where does one find Mellow Virginia? Is it another one ya have to buy over seas? Why don't we get the good OTC here in the States?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hawky, it's a pretty ubiquitous blend over here in the UK but whether it's freely available in the States I cannot say. I have just posted a review of MV so take a peek when you have a moment.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.