PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I picked up a Missouri Meerschaum Legend when I was out rode tripping this weekend. First pipe I've bought from this company and I am mightily impressed. It's also the first filtered pipe I've smoked. I left the filter in and notice a signification amount of moisture inside the bit when I was done smoking. So much moisture that half of the filter ended up soaked. I cleaned the stem with a pipe cleaner till dry. I pulled that filter and popped in a new one. The condensation came back on my second bowl but the filter did not get wet.
Is this normal? It's highly possible this happens on my other pipes and I just don't notice because they don't have clear stems.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Different things could be going on. You could be smoking some fairly moist tobacco that leaves more than the usual amount of moisture. You could be smoking on a humid day so there is just more moisture around. Or you could just be a fairly moist smoker and just notice it more with this pipe and filter. Many people like to smoke MM cobs without the filter (or buy the pipes that don't have a filter), or buy a 6 mm adaptor to eliminate the filter, or buy a Forever stem that turns a filter MM cob into a non-filter pipe. Experiment with some dryer tobacco, or tobacco you have dried out yourself, and try smoking on a dryer day. And the other possibilities, and see what works for you. I avoid filters but use them now and then, mostly not so much.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I smoke cobs infrequently but enjoy them when I do. The MM are impressive and durable representatives of this genre. I have always removed the filter from them; they then give a very generous draw which is not everyone's taste. If gurgling persists, try without the filter or with the 6 mm adaptor as recommended above.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I use Sav 6mm balsa in my filter sized cob stems. Works like a charm, smokes dry and smooth, and tightens the draw up perfectly, for me at any rate.

haddoken

Lurker
Sep 8, 2015
I see condensation build up in my amber(clear) stem as well. Its on an unfiltered cob, so I think this is normal. Try what Mso said and smoke drier tobacco. Or just swab it out with a pipe cleaner every so eften before it gets too bad in there.

anarchisthermit

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2015
You just notice it because of the clear stem. When you burn any organic material, water vapor is one of the by-products.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
It didn't seem to affect the smoke at all. It was tasty and delicious with no gurgling. I was smoking Frog Morton and I live in FL so humidity is probably a factor. My biggest concern was the damp filter. Should I have thrown it away or just let it dry out? It's a just a standard medico filter.

Jan 8, 2013
Ditch the filter and run a cleaner through once or twice during a bowl. You will be good to go. All pipes collect condesation in the stem, its just easier to see on MMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.